x

Is there a report that breaks out card type of card (debit/credit) used, not how used?

I am being asked to show a report of how many debits vs credit cards were used, as well as the amount charged.  I know debit cards can be used as charge cards....but they want to know specifically the KIND of card, not how they were used.  Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

All Debit cards run as credit thru square.

https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions  here you can select the time frame you want and the select Export transactions .csv

that file will open in excel or numbers and then you can sort the 24th column (column x) to see the card (visa, mastercard, discover, amex)

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

All Debit cards run as credit thru square.

https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions  here you can select the time frame you want and the select Export transactions .csv

that file will open in excel or numbers and then you can sort the 24th column (column x) to see the card (visa, mastercard, discover, amex)

Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

No, in Canada, debit (interac) aren't run through as credit as the interac network is completely different. They should not show up the same because even Square's fees on interac (C$0.10/transaction) is different. 

Message 3 of 11

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Custom Reports 

Hi, is it possible to create a custom report that categorizes specific items via payment type? 

Message 4 of 11
Admin

@JessicaAnne I'm adding your post to this thread where @VanKalkerFarms answered a similar question. When you export the Transactions CSV you'll see it include the card brand in column Y and name of the item sold in column AE (it's a big file!).

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 11
Beta Member

Is there a built-in report in Square that allows you to see the breakdown of transactions so that you can see the number of transactions and amount charged by payment type? I don't want a breakdown by card (contactless), card (chip). I want to be able to see breakdown by type of card (e.g. debit vs credit), type of credit card (i.e. Mastercard vs Visa vs Amex). Is that possible?

Message 6 of 11
Alumni

@VanKalkerFarms provided a great response to this question here in this thread!

I hope this is helpful, @PlantSellerYEG 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

No, that does not help because debit transactions in Canada are not the same as they are in the US. 

Message 8 of 11
Alumni

Ah, got it!

In that case, you can refer to the payment method report, which will show if the card is dipped or tapped, but it will not display the card number. You could also export the transaction CSV to view the fee percentage there, @PlantSellerYEG.

Valentina
Message 9 of 11

Valentina, none of the reports that you and your team are suggesting include a breakdown of debit vs credit cards processed. Everything is bundled without details.

Many of the card processors on the market offer differentiated rates for Credit card processing vs Debit card processing. So the ability to know how many of each card type is being processed is a key factor for Square users who want to evaluate the cost of using Square against other players. 

Could you please let me know how I can access this critical data?

Message 10 of 11
Alumni

Currently, reports do not differentiate between debit and credit sales, @MarvelousByFred.

Please keep in mind that when accepting cards in the US, both debit and credit cards will be run as credit as it is not currently possible for US buyers to input the PIN number related to their debit card. A report differentiating card type in this way would be considered a feature request at this time.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 11 of 11