x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments

We also have lost revenue because of discounts allowed on non-discountable items. Our shop is run by volunteers and getting the word to everyone about certain items in addition to them actually remembering to turn off a discount is very difficult. I would love to see the discountable option right in the item where the taxable option is found.

Super Seller Alumni

I love Square, but I've been requesting a basic discount feature for years.

Very very frustrating 😞

Admin

Thanks for taking the time to share, @jglaze and @sciabica1936. I wanted to check in and let you know we're listening. I don't have any updates for you, though we are continuing to track this request. I'll make sure to surface your posts with our Product Liaison team and point out how this can lead to lost revenue. Please keep in touch and thank you for your patience on this.

Beta Member

This option to make items as 'non discounted items' is very important for us as a restaurant, specifically alcohol sales. I hope that this becomes an update very soon 

Is there a way to get the option to discount ONLY specific items?? I know there isnt yet, but it seems like there's enough clients asking for this option for your company to get the option NOW!! Thanks

Super Seller Alumni

@Tom @Chad What's the hold up on this feature guys?  This really needs to happen before another laborious holiday season of manually adding discounts and correcting human-errors.

Admin

Hey @sciabica1936, sorry for the delayed response here. I'm checking in with our Product Liaison team to see if there's any movement on this. We will circle back as soon as we have a status update.

Alumni

Hi @Tom and @sciabica1936 - I'm on the Product team and am currently exploring around how to improve discounts. I'm hearing that you want to be able to specify which items the discount applies to which makes sense. @sciabica1936 I'd love to hear more details around what you want to accomplish with discounts and how we can best meet that need - I'll reach out so set up some time to talk if you're up for it. 

Super Seller Alumni

Awesome! @elaine_p I’d love to throw in some ideas too if you want more!

Alumni

Excellent @Pesso, I'll reach out!