x

Is there a way to charge people a cancellation fee even if they cancel online?

I have a 24 hour cancellation policy. I am only able to charge if they don't cancel online. If they cancel online the appointment disappears and I can't charge them. Does anyone else have this problem or a resolution for this??

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Pfenimore - Happy to help with this one! From the Settings page of your Appointments Dashboard, you you're able to set a cut-off time for allowing clients to cancel or reschedule. You'll find these settings under the Online Scheduling section. If you adjust this to 24 hours, this should solve this issue. 👍

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square

Best Answer

@Pfenimore - Happy to help with this one! From the Settings page of your Appointments Dashboard, you you're able to set a cut-off time for allowing clients to cancel or reschedule. You'll find these settings under the Online Scheduling section. If you adjust this to 24 hours, this should solve this issue. 👍

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 11

I have an error that pops up when I make an action to charge a cancellation fee. The customer has NOT cancelled their appointment online but has called in a cancel. When I select options to Cancel appointment, the server is not letting me make the charge.

Message 3 of 11
Square

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @NOLAFloat504. I may need you to contact our Support team directly, as I'm unable to view your account settings here in the Community but can you tell what error you're receiving? 

I may be able to discern if it a browser or settings issue, at least. Thanks!

Message 4 of 11

Since this post was 4 years ago I am sure you got help or figured it out by now, but in case anyone else is searching for the answer, I wanted to respond. When you set up each individual service, just below the price for the service you have to also put in the amount the client is charged for the cancellation fee. It can be any amount. So if your policy is full price if they late cancel you would just set the cancellation fee to the same dollar amount as the service. Also, if you are cancelling it for them, when you choose "cancel appointment " from the appointment screen, the "send email and text message" screen pops up. To the left above that there is a small button. You must toggle that button to "charge cancellation fee " each time if you are cancelling the appointment for them. If they cancel online it will automatically charge them. 

Message 5 of 11
Square Community Moderator

You are awesome for posting this helpful resource, @Sherrilynne ❤️📈👏 Your input is so appreciated! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 11

I don't see an option to enter a cancellation fee when I'm editing the item. Has that moved in the past year?

Message 7 of 11
Alumni

@josey You're using Square Appointments right? Are you looking at Services and not Items? I logged into my demo account with Appointments enabled > Items > Service Library, Clicked a service to edit:

Justin
Message 8 of 11

It’s there under the services tab when u click on each individual service

Message 9 of 11

Gah, shoot. You're right, I was in Items because those are the things we charge for. The services is a free consult. So there's no way in Square to charge an automatic fee based on ITEM cost if someone cancels?

Message 10 of 11
Alumni

Ahh, I gotcha - no worries! And to your question, there isn't a way to set a cancellation fee for items. @josey

Justin
Message 11 of 11