x

Is there a way to edit ticket layout?

I was wondering if there is a way to edit ticket layouts? Especially things like:

Select which sections print in red (especially the To Go // For Here section)

Add a buffer at the top of the ticket so the table number doesn't get hidden by the ticket rail

or

Edit the layout and move the table number to the bottom of the ticket

Thanks!

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

We don't currently have a way to edit the layout of your printed tickets. If you are using a kitchen ticket printer, your printer should automatically give you a buffer space at the top of the ticket to allow for your order rail to hold the ticket. While this is not something that can be adjusted through the Register, depending on your printer you may be able to adjust that right from your printer settings themselves. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Square

Best Answer

We don't currently have a way to edit the layout of your printed tickets. If you are using a kitchen ticket printer, your printer should automatically give you a buffer space at the top of the ticket to allow for your order rail to hold the ticket. While this is not something that can be adjusted through the Register, depending on your printer you may be able to adjust that right from your printer settings themselves. 

Message 2 of 49

Any update to this? It would really be great to be able to edit the tickets, especially to have red to help differentiate TO GO from FOR HERE at a glance in the busy kitchen.

Message 3 of 49
Square

@otlmia - No updates to share from our side, but I'm more than happy to pass along the feedback to our product liaison team. This is definitely great feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 49

Being able to edit kitchen tickets would be very helpful. We'd like to see the ability to seperate out duplicate items. For example if a customer oders 2 burgers the kitchen ticket prints

"2 x Burger"

We'd like the ability for it to print:

1 x Burger

1 x Burger

It would cut down on missed items being made.

Message 5 of 49

I second this wholeheartedly! Our kitchen makes mistakes often because it isn't line by line and will only make 1 of something that says 2x.

Message 6 of 49

Hello @BDNorth and @HRB

I will make sure to flag this for our product team @BDNorth! @HRB we always appreciate your feedback! 😀

Message 7 of 49

We as well have this very same issue.  Kitchen staff are constantly asking if this can be changed in the settings.  I haven't seen anything that will do this yet.  BUT, the kitchen absolutely misses multiples of food items because of the 1X, 2X, 3X ....  Thankfully, most of the time the server realizes this as they go to pickup food to serve, however this only delays the food and possibly temps of food going to the patron and induces several expletives coming from the kitchen staff.  I even have a few servers that will walk to the kitchen and point out items that are 2X, 3X, etc. when time a lots.  This seems like an easy fix for Square.  I think, when time a lots, some servers with multiple duplicate items will start a ticket, select the item and save it which will print in kitchen, then go back into the ticket select the same item and save it.  This prints 2 tickets in the kitchen, which also creates issues as it takes up space on the kitchen rail and sometimes the kitchen staff dismisses the 2nd ticket as they just think it is a duplicate...so not a solid work around.

Message 8 of 49
Admin

Hey @VBGController. Thanks for your post. That's very valuable input for this thread. 

I'm sorry that the font size and ticket formatting has been causing some delays in orders. That's certainly not the experience we want you to have. 

We're hoping this will be an adjustable setting that we can make available to our sellers soon. We will post in this thread when we have an update, so keep an eye on it. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 49

Being able to segrate Apps, from Entres and Desserts with a line or space would be great

Message 10 of 49
Admin

Thanks for pointing this out, @Breakaway. We don't have any updates on this feature yet, though rest assured that I'll share your post with our Product Liaison Team. Keep in touch for updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 11 of 49

So this request was posted waaaay back in 2016 and it looks like multiple people/business would love the added feature of being able to edit tickets and the layout like you can do when you print out receipts.

I am in the dog grooming business and we would LOOOOOOOOVE to be able to add a "dsiclaimer" to our open ticket, "This total an estimate and may increase depending on your pet’s weight, condition, and/or aggressiveness during grooming." our customers will then initial/sign it so they understand.

Too many times have customers not "heard" us say this and it has become a pain point for us and the ability to add this disclaimer to our tickets would be, dare I say,...AWESOME!!!

So why not add this feature? It can't be that hard, can it? Or does there need to be three years of requests for a feature to be added. 😄

Cheers.

Kev

#GiveThePeopleWhatTheyWant #MakeYourCustomersHappy

Message 12 of 49
Alumni

Hey @KevinSloan - Thanks for taking the time to add your feedback here! That's definitely an interesting use case for tickets and I can see how it would be frustrating to have to re-explain policies to customers that often. If you don't mind me asking, are you using tickets to provide an estimate of the services and then charging the full amount at pickup? Just trying to gauge how your system works in case I can offer any workarounds and also offer our Receipts team more details on business needs for this feature.

In the meantime, while I don't have an ETA on if or when this feature might be added, I can provide some clarity in how Feature Requests work within the Community.

Looking forward to your response!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 13 of 49

Yes, that is exactly what we are doing.

I went in to U Break I Fix today, to repair my daughters iPhone, and their system does EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

They open and print out a ticket with Warretny statements along with other "fine print" and you pay when you pick it up. That's what we wanna do!!!! 😄

For an example,

Let's say you bring in your lovely 10 pound Shih Tzu, Hagrid, for grooming. Your a Harry Potter fan. 😄

Grooming prices for that breed start at $40 and we open a ticket, using Square, with that grooming service and we tell you about the potential of price increase.

Now, when we finally get to groom Hagrid and he's a little agreesive and bit difficult to handle so we have to add an additional $10.

Now you come to pick up Hagrid and discover that the price has increased to $50+tax.

You get mad at us because we setup a price expectation and then increased it. You think we are trying to pull a bait and switch.

NOW, if we had that disclaimer of how prices may increase on the ticket and you signed it, then we would show you our policy, which you signed. You would not believe how many customers do not "hear" us and is a huge pain point for us.

Again, having the ability to customize the tickets like you can in the reciepts would be AWESOME, don't you think?

On a side not, in Appointments, when an appointment is made and the customer comes in and you click on their appointment is would be AWESOME if there was an option to "Open A Ticket" instead of just going to "Check Out".

For us, if a customer makes an appointment and brings in their dog, naturally you would go to the appointment and click on it to start the sales process. As it stands, we have to leave the appointment and manually start a ticket and redo everything that was in the appointment.

These updates would help streamline our business, and others, as well as make Square better, wouldn't you say? 😄

Thanks for listening and I hope you can run this up the flag pole for the devs to see. Let's make this happen soon for all of us!!! 😄

Cheers,

Kev

Message 14 of 49
Alumni

You had me at Hagrid. 😀

That definitely makes sense and I appreciate you sharing here. The only workaround that comes to mind would be to create a form with either our Cognito Forms or JotForms integrations within the App Marketplace. You could potentially have the customer fill out all of their information using the form at drop off then have a section that explains your policies where they'll then have to sign before you create the Open Ticket for them. Not sure if this would work for you in the meantime, but I'll make sure to surface your post with the team! We'll also circle back here with any updates as we hear of them.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 49

We are in the Repair business and would love to be able to do the same.  Print a ticket when folks drop off items to be repaired with our disclaimer at the bottom with a signature for them to sign even would be better.  Then I can hand them the ticket.  When they pick up the item I could print the receipt from the ticket.  Would be so nice of a feature to be able to have.  

Message 16 of 49

You should be able to do this in the printer itself. Grab the appropriate set up software from the internet and then you can adjust all sorts of things on the printed ticket.

Message 17 of 49

Hello,

Is there way to adjust font sizes on kitchen orders? I would like to know if it's possible. Thanks!!

Message 18 of 49
Square

Hi @mulsahram — It looks like another seller with a similar question here. We don't currently support the ability to edit the layout of kitchen tickets, including font size. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 19 of 49

Would definitely love the option to make font smaller. Big orders make for some very long tickets sometimes.

Message 20 of 49

I am not a super-techie person but I was trying to find out if I could have my printer programmed to print out icons as they relate to menu items in our restaurant. With a "build your own" section of our menu it would make our kitchen tickets a mile long with all of the text modifiers (icons are easier and take up less space). I found something for Star Micronics printers called StarIO SDK, which apparently allows for changing fonts, line spacing, and other things on the Star SP700 kitchen printers (and other Star brand printers). I do not know how to use this, as I am not a developer, but it seems to be some sort of gateway thing that communicates between iOS systems and the printers to change the way the printer prints, including printing Japanese Kanji characters and business logos. I am assuming now that I can most likely have my printer programmed to possibly print the icons I want to print but I have absolutely no clue on how to do this. Please help! Thanks!

Message 21 of 49