x

Is there a way to find the MAC / IP address on a Square Terminal?

Is there a way to find the MAC / IP address on a Square Terminal?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

the IP address will change every time you connect to a network.  you can go into your router settings and view devices attached to it and from there you can see your MAC address.  every router is different so you'd have to google your brand.  for example on my mesh network, I can simply click on the list of connected devices and see details about each device like MAC.

Message 2 of 9

I would love to have the option to find my MAC address without going to a router because I am a tenant on a floor where I would have to ask the management to get an IT person in to look at the router info to find the MAC address... For the moment I am using my hot spot on my phone to connect because I do not have a secure connection to the WiFi on my floor, and that is kind of annoying since when I move my phone away from the machine the connection gets lost and it takes quite a bit of time to reset it when I need to take a payment. Is there going to be an ability to get the MAC address for the terminal in the future? 

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community!! Understanding the reason why this feature request is important to you helps us immensely, so thanks again for taking the time to explain this workflow for us. 

As far as a timeline to when this will be released, we currently do not have one and are still tracking feature requests that come in. I would encourage you to follow this thread for any updates along the way, but posting in here to add your thoughts helps as well. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 9

Thanks Ashley! How do I follow the thread? I don't see an option for that anywhere... 

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Just click on Subscribe in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.  You'll be notified by email anytime another post is added to this thread.

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 9

Got it, Thank you!

Message 7 of 9

Update: In the settings now I see MAC addresses for both wifi and ethernet. I wasn't able to get wifi working, but with the purchase of the "Hub" on the square accessories page, I was able to register the MAC address with our IT team so that the internet would be allowed to flow through the Hub to my terminal. Ideally getting the wifi to work would be best, but this is a good workaround. 

Question: Bob said that "the IP address will change every time you connect to a network." Does that apply to both ethernet and wifi? I'm wondering if the wifi IP address changed but not the ethernet which might explain why the MAC address for ethernet worked but not wifi. Maybe I just need to submit the MAC address again for wifi. What constitutes reconnecting to the network? 

Message 8 of 9

As a work around until Square updates, I was able to turn on my HotSpot on my phone, connect to it and then open the details of connected devices to get the MAC.  Then I went back into my system and added it and reconnected my terminal to the correct WIFI. 

Message 9 of 9