x
Beta Member

Is there a way to set future orders to print when they are actually needed?

I understand that online orders can be set to print automatically and will only work when the ipad is on and awake which is fine if they're for immediate pick up. Is it possible for someone to place an order in advance and have it print the day and time they want to come get it? (Setting a lead time of however long you may need) i want to enable online ordering for our food truck but I'm afraid orders will get lost in the shuffle unless they come out of the printer in real time as needed to order. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Good question @ThymeTraveling! There isn't a setting built out that would allow for this type of feature. But I can absolutely pass this feedback along to our Product Team. Also, thanks for sharing an example of why this would benefit your business and the type of business you have. This info helps to know when teams are considering building out certain feature requests.

Don't be a stranger here in the Community and let us know of anything else comes up!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

This is actually the way the system works right now.  Our prep time is set to 30 minutes so all orders print 30 minutes before scheduled pickup.

Before two weeks ago our online orders were printing automatically as soon as they were placed online, regardless of pickup time or prep time.  A couple of weeks ago some kind of update took place and orders were not printing this way anymore.  

I contacted Square support when the automatic printing stopped working.  I was informed that they way is working now, printing according to prep time and pickup time, is how it's supposed to work.

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

Yes, we tried this out yesterday while serving. I was placing orders from my phone and all but one printed. I have no idea why one out of 6 didn't print. We have the time set to 15 minutes at the moment but I'm thinking 30 would be better.

Two questions if you might know!

When i go to place an order online, it lets me schedule it while doing regular checkout but if you choose the Google checkout option, it's immediate pickup only. I found that strange.

And second. Can you change the max order amount based on the timeframe? I don't want to get too many online orders for a busy lunch when we have walk ups happening but i don't want to limit orders during slow periods like between meals.

Thank you very much for answering. It's all been trial and error. I wish there was a square Facebook group!! 

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Yes, a couple of customers informed me that it didn't give them an option to schedule pickup when using Apple or Google pay so I just turned off the Google/Apple pay options.  Having those options on are not a big deal to us so I never contacted Square about it.

To change the max order amount based on the timeframe: On your dashboard on computer, go to "Online store" -> Pickup & Delivery -> "Edit location" -> "Edit" [next to "Hours"], scroll down to "Space out pickup & delivery orders" and toggle on and enter how many pickups to allow every 15 minutes.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

We are a dessert shop and most items take less than 15 minutes to prepare, except for custom cakes. We want the tickets for custom cakes to print 2 days ahead at least. So, it would be helpful if we can set up different lead times based on items. Or, if there is an option for tickets to print as the orders come in, that’s helpful. 

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Hey @Simple-Delights-

I moved your post here. Some other sellers talk about how to set the lead time differently. 

In regards to having your custom cake orders print differently, you'd want to change the prep time to immediately available so that those orders will print right away.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 7