x
Beta Member

Is there an easy way to do a physical inventory count for all items?

Is there an easy way to do a physical inventory count? Possibly using a handheld scanner and then uploading.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for posting. 

This is an awesome feature request that we have been tracking for some time, so at the moment, we do not have exactly what you are looking for (as in, almost a checklist to scan to see if the items in your store match with the items in your Point of Sale inventory). 

A potential workaround that you can use is to print off your item CSV, after filtering only for item name and quantity, then manually counting the inventory.

Also, you may want to take a look at our Square for Retail subscription, that will allow you to scan an item to print barcodes, and it will auto populate how many items are in stock for that scanned item. You can then manually count the items in the store from that. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

Square needs to add the ability to take a physical inventory using handheld devices to scan items and enter quantities for the items scanned. If you are serious about "inventory management," you should provide this critical inventory management function.

Message 3 of 12

I have not seen where you can scan an item on square for retail and then have a tag printed. I have to go to square up , click actions, then print tags and then physically list items. I can’t use a scanner to “ create a list of tags”  I want printed. Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 12

Hey @Allie2 and @HeatherS thanks for sharing! I agree, this is an important feature request that we are still tracking. I used to work inventory management for another company before moving to Square and the ability to walk around the store to gather inventory was super helpful. 

This is on our radar, and adding comments to this thread helps as it keeps all the requests in one place for our Developers. Also, if there are any announcements or betas for our sellers to participate in, then we will likely post them here as well!

Keep in mind that you can always search Square for Retail's items by barcode and item name, so while it isn't the exact feature you were looking for, you can always search the name  or SKU and view how many items you have in stock via the Retail POS app vs. in person. We also have low stock alerts that you can enable when your inventory gets low to help take some of the pressures off. 

On top of that, I've seen sellers print an Item CSV that includes only the item name and stock amount for that location so they can walk around and check inventory that way. 🙂

I hope this helps and thanks again for posting!!

AshleyK
Message 5 of 12

@AshleyK In the meantime, are you aware of any third party App* that other Square users are utilizing for their Physical Inventory needs?

(*Something other than Yellow Dog which is beyond our budgetary constraints.)

Message 6 of 12

Hi there, @HeatherS! I can step in for Ashley on this one. The only third-party integration that I have seen utilized outside of our system for physical inventory management is Quickbooks Enterprise, but I have heard reports that it has its own limitations. 

I'm hoping some other Sellers on this thread might jump in and suggest some other applications that might be helpful.

Anyone else have a helpful workaround? 

Joe
Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

Has there been any progress on a scannable inventory function through Square? We just completed a year-end inventory, and the ability to scan our SKU labels would have been extremely helpful.

Message 8 of 12

There are no new updates on this feature request right now but I will pass this over to our product team for their visibility. 

Thank you for taking the time to join others requesting this. 

JJ
Message 9 of 12

From what I am seeing Square has not made this an easy process.  I will be working with a client to do a complete physical for their location in the next month.  I will develop a spreadsheet based on the export of items from square to do this.  I will utilize a scanner to quickly locate the items and allow updating of the quantity.  I will then use the updated spreadsheet to upload inventory quantities back into Square.  I will post back with the results if anyone is interested in using this method.  Send an email, Mark@techguides.it.

Message 10 of 12

Hi @SkateTech - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋😊

I'm tagging a few of our Super Sellers to see if they can offer any tips or share their process for physically tracking Inventory - @Abigails_stl @Adamscottsmith @LocavoreStore

Violet
Message 11 of 12
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for the tag. So I’m actually getting ready to do several back to back inventories myself because we are relocating our store. 

the best way I have found without using a third party like Shopventory or other add-ons is to save a item catalog then zero out your inventory on all items to 0. Then do a receive inventory count and scan every item.

its easier to explain on a call so if you need help and want to give me a call just shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my number. 

Message 12 of 12