x

Logging in with a Device Code

I created a LOCATION, received a Device Code.. how does someone log into the app with a device code?

Message 1 of 40
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Logging in with a Device Code

Hey @Queentee56-

Thanks for posting in this thread. 

If you're referring to a passcode that you do not want required, first go to the Square Dashboard > Account & Settings > Personal Information and you should see your owner passcode.

Then, please go to the app, go to Settings > Passcode, and disable the setting that requires the passcode.

Does that work? Let me know if not!   

1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi,

When you open Square Point of Sale app on your device and press Sign In,  under fied <email address, password , forgot password> there is option  "Use a Device Code"

Enter device code you previously created and you will be logged in to your account.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi,

When you open Square Point of Sale app on your device and press Sign In,  under fied <email address, password , forgot password> there is option  "Use a Device Code"

Enter device code you previously created and you will be logged in to your account.

Message 2 of 40

Hello Lima,

Thank you for responding. I tried that... and all the system did was send an email to my main account requesting I input the Square Verification Code... not a Device Code. I am trying to have another person access my account, using a device code so that you can place orders from her location. I am having a hard time figuring out how to get her access... please help! 

Message 3 of 40

How do I get a code?

Message 4 of 40

I did not create a passcode but there is one required, therefore I can not access settings to pair my Square Reader

I can do sales and checkout but not settings. I want the pass code deactivated or removed.

Message 5 of 40
Admin

Hey @Queentee56-

Thanks for posting in this thread. 

If you're referring to a passcode that you do not want required, first go to the Square Dashboard > Account & Settings > Personal Information and you should see your owner passcode.

Then, please go to the app, go to Settings > Passcode, and disable the setting that requires the passcode.

Does that work? Let me know if not!   

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 40

This was so helpful and accurate! Best and easiest answer!!!!

Message 7 of 40

OKAY... its in the APP... not on line... got it... thank you! 

Message 8 of 40

Will this log you into your own account? We use one app for 2 different stylist and it's so annoying to log in each time again. Looking for a simplified solution. 

Message 9 of 40

This allowed my "remote store" to log in with a device code. It has limited access BUT still allows her to get into certain areas of the main account... she has to log in with her device code every time. Its definately not user friendly. 

Message 10 of 40

I must have misunderstood this but it seems logging in with a device code that is a 12 digit alpha numeric everytime is not easier by any way shape or form than logging in with an email and password. Personally I want to just log in on the mobile device ( irregularly) with a PIN code I set up myself. I am sure it said add a device for easier log in somewhere. Or is there a way of choosing my device code?

Message 11 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hi @NZAC

It sounds like you might benefit more from Employee Management features. 

A device code allows you and your employees to log into any supported device and pair it to a business location. It’s an easy, secure alternative to logging in with an email address and password. 

An employee is anyone who has access to your register or Square account. You define what each employee can access on your register or Square account using permission groups and pin codes. Read more about creating employees and permission groups.

Message 12 of 40

Agreed!  This huge long completely random code for employees to MEMORIZE to log in every time is ridiculous...please make this easier!

Message 13 of 40

how do you create your own device code and not the one they give you?

Message 14 of 40
Alumni

Hey @PHIT - Great question. Device codes can only be generated by the system at this time.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 40

Is this dependent on version of the app?  I'm using a really old version of Android?

Message 16 of 40

Hey @studio222, you should still be able to use device codes even if your Android Operating system is dated. I'm guessing you would update if you could, but you'll generate the codes on your Square Dashboard. 

If you're having trouble please let me know! I would be happy to help. 

Message 17 of 40

I've read a bunch of replies under this, but haven't found one (yet) for my problem. Why must we scroll forever to find an answer?Why isn't there a chat line or customer support??

I was issued a device code online, but whenever I login on my cell phone, it flashes Sign in, and Use a Device Code right under, but then it immediately goes to the sign in page. I never have a chance to click Use a Device Code. I've checked under Settings, Help, etc. and haven't found out how to input the Device Code!!!

Before getting a Device Code, I also tried a test sale to myself for $2.50. I wasn't going to complete the sale, but I can't delete the sale. It was obviously never finalized. I'm able to delete the amount to zero, but how do I stop the sale calculator from popping up to "finish" the sale?

Message 18 of 40

@rlevy The sign in process when using a device code is outlined in this threads Best Answer. 

It sounds like you might be running into an issue with either the app itself or the activation of your device code, which could be preventing you from tapping the "Use Device Code" option. 

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that helps. Let me know if this works for you. 

Message 19 of 40

@EJ    Yes it worked. thanks. Had to reinstall 3x as it was hanging a lot, even though internet and wifi was strong at the house

Message 20 of 40

Good to hear @rlevy

If you need anything else, or run into more trouble, let me know 👋🏽

Message 21 of 40