x

Logging in with a Device Code

I created a LOCATION, received a Device Code.. how does someone log into the app with a device code?

Message 1 of 40
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Logging in with a Device Code

Hey @Queentee56-

Thanks for posting in this thread. 

If you're referring to a passcode that you do not want required, first go to the Square Dashboard > Account & Settings > Personal Information and you should see your owner passcode.

Then, please go to the app, go to Settings > Passcode, and disable the setting that requires the passcode.

Does that work? Let me know if not!   

1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi,

When you open Square Point of Sale app on your device and press Sign In,  under fied <email address, password , forgot password> there is option  "Use a Device Code"

Enter device code you previously created and you will be logged in to your account.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

That seems to work on the App but not on the computer web site. It doesn't give you that option. Anyhow, I go to me settings and see the correct device code listed, but it still will not let me "take a payment". This is getting so frustrating...

Message 22 of 40

I tried to log in and received an invalid device code message...rechecked the device code email to my computer 

Message 23 of 40

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "3 square devices on same account" The author has been notified via email.

We have 3 square devices that are all running from the same account.

We would like the staff's names to show up on the transactions in the account.

Their names have been set up on the account & it has given us a device code to enter on each app.

We cannot find where to enter this device code so the information from each sqaure comes up against the staff;s name on the account.

Can anyone please help with this?

Thank you! 🙂

Message 24 of 40

I entered the device code and now it is asking for my pin, but i haven't created a pin yet. how do i set the pin?

Message 25 of 40
Admin

@vivant Sorry for the late reply! It sounds like you might have created that pin before. Has it been a while since you used the app? After you enter that pin you can set a new one from Settings > Employee Management.

If you don't remember your original pin call our CS team who can help you remove it.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 26 of 40

I have sent myself these code numbers to myself a few times. I log in just fine without it. It says use it within the next two days. So why do I need it?

Message 27 of 40

Hello @KudzuQ

The device code is used for signing into your account without the password or email address. Typically other sellers give out device codes to employees making sales on their behalf. That way they don't have to share their password or email address which gives access to the Square Dashboard. 

Message 28 of 40

I deleted the account with issues, 

used an alternate email address and sign up again with the business info.

I was able to access the account from 3 locations.

Accept payment from 2 locations, tablet, and phone.

Hope this helps.  

Message 29 of 40

Is there any simple reason why i cannot login into Square for  restaurants with the device code ?

I keep getting the message " This device code can only be used in the square POS app " ?

Message 30 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hi @WildBill Welcome to the Community 🎉

Are you following the directions in this guide for device settings? I moved your post to a thread with more information on logging in with your device code. 

Please let us know how it goes. 🙂

Message 31 of 40

Hi Bernadette, Thankyou and here is more suitable thread.  I have followed the instructions but still getting the same message. I can see that i can open the Square POS app  but not the Square Restaurant  POS app. 

I believe this could be a location issue as i am based in Europe.

Message 32 of 40

I tried entering the "Sign-In with Code" option but all I get is an error that device is log-in restricted and can only be used

in the Square for Retail app which I am using. Please advise.

Message 33 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Bob36,

We see its your first time posting in the Seller Community, welcome! 🤗 

So with regards to Device codes, have you checked to see if the Device code itself shows "Active" in Dashboard?

That could be a reason for the error. Take a peek at this support article. 

I wanted to also ask you...for what purpose are you choosing to use the device code? Do you have employees using the same device? If you are, I wanted to suggest taking a look at team permission set up instead. 

I look forward to reading your reply!😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 34 of 40

Even though I always select, remember this device for 90 days, I must get a code everytime I log in, even within the 90 days.  Am I missing something?

Thank you!

The title of this thread has been edited from the original by a Community Moderator to help with searching threads. 

Message 35 of 40
Super Seller

Is this on a browser? Are you in private browsing mode?

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 36 of 40
Super Seller

Hello @lov2try !

If the TFA code isn't holding for 30 days, I'm wondering if you have the most recent version of the Square software and device operating system installed*. Square has been doing a lot of work on the back end, and if you're running an older version of the software you will see random issues.

*with iOS 16 released, I am hesitant to upgrade yet: I have had compatibility issues in the past with x.0 releases breaking Square services. I always recommend hanging on until the x.1 version is released.

If you're talking about your web dashboard, if you have your web browser set to automatically clear history and cookies on exit, then yes you will have to re-enter your TFA code every time you open the browser. I have my office computer set up this way, but the TFA entry doesn't really take much more time than a usual login.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 37 of 40

How would I know if I have the latest Square software?  I do have mine set to clear cookies so that might be it.  I'm having some issues online too so I feel something is amiss.  I am on Monterey on Mac air.  

Message 38 of 40
Super Seller

@lov2tryIf you're using your Mac air, then it's definitely because you have your browser set to clear cookies. Since you're using a web browser, you don't need to make sure the software is updated: Square keeps the dashboard maintained.

For your tablets/phones/etc where you downloaded the app, head to your app store and find the square apps to check for updates.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 39 of 40

Thank you.  Do you know why all of a sudden my item list in online disappeared?  When I go to rearrange my items, it says that I have no items and tries to get me to set up an "item list".  ???? I used to be able to see the list and drop and drag.  

Message 40 of 40