x

Dashboard session timeout

Within the last week or so, Dashboard started logging me out after a period of inactivity.  This is annoying as I'm used to being logged in all day and coming back to it as needed, and now I have to log back in MANY times a day.  Is there a way to turn this off or adjust in settings or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 166
4 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer
Mackenzie here from the Product Insights team – I definitely hear the frustration in the thread, and agree that this change could have been handled better. Although from one perspective we've fixed the bug that kept everybody logged in indefinitely, I completely understand how the bug resulted in new workflows that you relied on – workflows that were disrupted when we implemented a fix without warning you ahead of time.

Your account security is our top concern, and we're always evaluating how to balance safety with experience. I hear your desire for customization, and I've let our product management team know so they can track the request. For now, we'll probably be leaving the timeout as-is, so I recommend using one of the password tools mentioned elsewhere on the thread to help make the experience a little more convenient.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback.

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 166

Best Answer

If you are using Firefox the 'Auto Reload Tab' extension by Alan Ramsey may help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/auto-reload-tab/

The extension allows you to set a time interval, after which, the page will be reloaded,

keeping the session kept alive. It has pre-set intervals that can be selected or you can

add you own interval time. It also provides the option to reset the timer whenever

you react with the page (type/click) so it will not reload while your working.

I haven't lookd but there may be similar extension/add-ons for other browsers.

Seems to me that this it the feature that Square should provide intrinsically.

View Best Answer >

Message 96 of 166
Super Seller

Message 97 of 166
Beta Member

Best Answer

While a fix from Square would be ideal I use 'Super Auto Refresh Plus' extension for Chrome.

It's free, works on several pages and you can set the refresh times.

Typical for me is the main Square PC dashboard page on auto refresh for every 15 minutes.  This way if I need to enter a customer, create an invoice, etc. I'm logged in all day.  I just have to remember to go back to the home page when I'm done or it will time out.  It remembers the page you set it on so even after shutting down it will be on automatically next time you open that page.

View Best Answer >

Message 123 of 166
165 REPLIES 165
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @chasbabb - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us. So sorry to hear about the extensive issues you are encountering on your Online Dashboard. Sounds frustrating, indeed.

Dashboard troubleshooting can be tricky. Each browser, and even each device, can have multiple factors that can alter the way the Online Dashboard responds to the prompts its given. Unfortunately, Microsoft Edge has historically been one of the more troublesome browsers. We would recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome when possible - being that our Online Dashboard is optimized perfectly for its use.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also experiencing issues with your Dashboard timing out. We would recommend also looking at this Best Answer from Nigel - he also provides some helpful workarounds in terms of extensions you can use to combat auto-reloading. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 106 of 166

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Logging out from inactivity too frequently

How can I change the settings so that I don't get continually logged out of my account from inactivity when using my laptop? I only want to to sign in once a day. Thanks

Message 107 of 166
Super Seller Alumni

There is no setting to change the frequency of being automatically logged out.  Square has set the maximum inactive time to help protect your computer's security and privacy, and it can't be changed.

Judy T Shumway
Message 108 of 166

It is absolutely ridiculous how quickly I get logged out of my dashboard.  I print a report from one day and when I click on the next day and try and print it out it tells me due to inactivity my session has timed out.  Really?  In 10 seconds?  I have to print out a daily report for an entire month.  Are you telling me I have to log in 30 times just to do that?  

Message 109 of 166

Hi @Snackbox! Thanks for your feedback here and welcome to the Community. 

The timeout feature is implemented for account security but I hear your frustration and we're sorry for the disruptions here. 

I will share this with the Dashboard team.

Ashley C
Message 110 of 166

Yes, you been hearing out frustration for over a year and yet you do nothing to fix it. 90% of major softwares have the option to let the client determine their log out needs, as the client determines their security needs not the vendor. For square cases this is for dashboard used, the likely of our data being compromised for not being logged out is so minimal that it does not entail your ridiculous restricting logout. If you are in the midst of working on something and walk away to deal with a client, by the time you return all data has been lost due to log out. NO POS system in the market does that but square.

Message 111 of 166

I keep getting kicked out every 30 seconds? It says due to inactivity, but I am right in the middle of creating a campaign. What the heck? This is not standard NIST 853 or FMAP settings. something is seriously wrong on your end!!!

Message 112 of 166

I called Square (it took a few times of trouble shooting) and found out it was because of the internet browser! Once I switched back to Chrome- 0 problems

Message 113 of 166

me too!

Message 114 of 166
Beta Member

Just jumping in to agree that the default timeout is way too aggressive. We just switched to Square so I'm spending a lot of time getting used to the Dashboard, and it's maddening how quickly I get logged out.

Here's the ideal situation for me. As the account owner, any time I give a user Dashboard access, I should get to say whether they see a “Keep me logged in for 24 hours” checkbox at the login screen. I would enable this for myself, since I do most of this stuff on personal devices that lock down their screens very quickly. I’d disable it for anyone who uses the computer in our office.

But even for the people who are using shared computers in shared spaces should get a slightly longer timeout than what’s set now!

Message 115 of 166

I called Square (it took a few times of trouble shooting) and found out it was because of the internet browser! Once I switched back to Chrome- 0 problems

Message 116 of 166

I use Chrome and still get INSTANTLY timed out when I log in. Sometimes. It's unpredictable. 

Message 117 of 166

You definitely should not be getting logged out immediately. I agree that that would be frustrating to deal with as well. Are you sure that there are no other computers logged into your Dashboard when you are logging in?

Also, be sure to clear your cache and history to make sure that isn't a problem either. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 118 of 166

Look i am quite capable of deciding when i need to log out for my own security.  What a lame rationalization.  Fix this so i dont get logged out every twenty minutes or whatever it is.  That's totally annoying.  Just fix it.  I can decide when I want to log out.

Message 119 of 166
Beta Member

I see that there has been discussion in the past about dashboard timing out due to inactivity for security reasons.  The problem that I am having is that I am constantly being logged out and it says due to inactivity but I am literally inputting information.  I will just be inputing new skews, inventory etc.. and it just stops right in the middle and logs me out.  I am talking like once maybe every 2 or 3 minutes and it loses whatever information I have just put in on that screen.  I notice that it does not happen as frequently if I am able to login on a Mac but unfortunately I have to mostly use a pc for our store because of software incompatibility.  How can I resolve this.  I had not been having this problem until the last 2 weeks or so and I do not have the issue with any other software, application, etc...  It is only Square.  Help!

Message 120 of 166

Hey @frillseekerstx!

I merged your post with the existing post about Dashboard timeouts so that way our Dashboard team can keep track of feedback in one place.

I apologize for the frustration you're experiencing with it!

Ashley C
Message 121 of 166

Square have added a feature that warns you it will log you out and you have x seconds to say - Stay logged in. There are a few solutions that have been suggested in threads above.  Clearing your temporary files will remove saved copies of previous Square pages with outdated time stamps which may contribute to the very swift logging out. Clearing your cache may also help.  Some have suggested using third-party apps to auto-log in, preventing this issue.

Message 122 of 166
Beta Member

Best Answer

While a fix from Square would be ideal I use 'Super Auto Refresh Plus' extension for Chrome.

It's free, works on several pages and you can set the refresh times.

Typical for me is the main Square PC dashboard page on auto refresh for every 15 minutes.  This way if I need to enter a customer, create an invoice, etc. I'm logged in all day.  I just have to remember to go back to the home page when I'm done or it will time out.  It remembers the page you set it on so even after shutting down it will be on automatically next time you open that page.

Message 123 of 166

Session Timeout

You have been signed out due to inactivity. Please sign in again.

This is happening over and over and over on Explorer Windows 10.  I'm logging in 3-5 times per 15 minutes.  Is there a way I can make this window longer?  So annoying when trying to take client payment.  I've cleared my cache, rebooted my computer, but...UGH.  I know it is for my protection, but how am I supposed to do business like this as it makes me seem unprofessional and a fly-by-night as a sole proprietor.

Message 124 of 166

Ironically, I was shopping for an online store platform when I got frustrated enough to finally log a complaint. What I've learned/realized since is a) Square works great for accepting payments on a tablet without having the backend setup. b) Chrome makes the dashboard experience better when I have to go there to download data. c) There are plenty of online store platforms, and I won't be using Square for that because d) Square doesn't care that they are making people miserable.

Message 125 of 166

@moonmist thank you for sharing your thoughts and I'm really sorry to hear the frustration here. We do care what our sellers think, which is why we encourage you to share your feelings on the Seller Community and track feature requests here! 

I would recommend saving your username and password in your computer so that when you are logged out, or timed out, for your security and protection (what if you walked away and an employee started clicking things in your dashboard and making changes... or worse, started refunding transactions), you only have to click one button to log back in. Of course, as explained earlier, only do this on a trusted computer that is only used by yourself as this will give anyone access to your account if you have this saved on an open company computer. Again, to reiterate the importance of this, we are making sure your business, bank account information, and transactions are secure so that you and only you, the owner of the business, can make changes that you want. 

Saving passwords is the same set up I have for my demo account, and when I'm working throughout the day, I simply refresh my screen and click "sign in" to get right back to work!

I hope this simple tip helps to make your life a little easier and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

AshleyK
Message 126 of 166