x

Loyalty: Are customers able to earn loyalty points by shopping in my Square Online site?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Loyalty Points

Hello,

Are customers able to earn loyalty points by shopping my online store?  Or only by physically swiping their card in person?

Thanks!

Erin

Message 1 of 85
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello! I would like to let everyone know that you can now use Square Loyalty with all Square Online purchases. This will allow your customers to enroll, redeem, and earn Loyalty points at your checkout page with their phone number.

A few things to keep in mind while you use this feature:

• You must ask for your customer’s phone number during checkout on Square Online. This is a default option that is set to “on.” If this option is off, you can turn it back on in your checkout settings.

• Your customers can redeem rewards during checkout. They can enroll for your Loyalty program, or view their earnings on the order confirmation page

• If you have multiple Square locations: Your Loyalty program is tied to your Online store location. If you have separate Online Stores (each tied to a different location) you must create a separate Loyalty program for each store. You can check if your current Loyalty subscription is tied to your online store location here.

Category-based rewards are not redeemable online at this time.

original-.png

You can find more information in our Overview of Square Loyalty, but feel free to ask any questions you have below as well. Thanks, everyone, for your time!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 56 of 85
84 REPLIES 84

@pessosices 

I’ll try to do some testing and see if completing a transaction and adjusting the stars to see what happens.

Message 43 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

@TiffanyNR 

So it could be my last idea that the first time they use loyalty on online store it would show up to redeem rewards all the way at the end, after payment. And then next time it will show up earlier. 

So a while back loyalty changed from points turning into coupons that expire, into just points that can be redeemed. So the total amount of points stay there, and only subtract after a reward is redeemed, or if you’re looking at the status in the middle of a transaction. 

So the points don’t disappear to be ready for a reward, they stay until a reward is redeemed. 

Here’s my status page normally:

05E09AD7-DE71-46D1-AD86-7D29C1CCDC0F.png

Here’s my status page when I’m in the middle of a transaction, redeeming a reward on POS:

E2C194F6-73BC-48B3-81FC-04689BFF41D1.png

See how there’s a coupon on the second one but not on the first one?

My guess is something is hung up there, either it’s somehow logged into a current transaction, or there’s an issue on the back end of your loyalty program. 

Tagging back @isabelle & @kellyj cause that’s literally everything I could think of, and I don’t know anyone else who might be able to help here

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 44 of 85

@pessosices

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

I actually have always set the rewards to “Never Expire”, so not sure why it’s showing an expiration date. I will try to initiate a purchase and see what shows up after doing another purchase.

Message 45 of 85

@pessosices 

I was able to make the loyalty pop-up appear by adding more stars to the account. However, now the account says there are 2 rewards ready for redemption. Not sure what happened, but perhaps, the sync between Square retail and Square Online for loyalty did not fully cross over?

Anyway, I'm hoping there aren't further issues with this. I will be trying more accounts. Thank you!

Message 46 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

@TiffanyNR I'm pretty sure that's just a bug with loyalty, unrelated to the Online Store.

So it's not the stars are set to expire, it's likely because the reward was in the middle of being redeemed in a transaction, and then the transaction was stopped.

So the Points were half-claimed, and turned into a Coupon instead of redeemed fully as a reward.

Here's how to Reset those points out of a Coupon and back into Points to be used as a Reward:

If you open up your POS and hit redeem rewards & lookup that person, you'll see a Coupon as that reward, with an expiration date. If you apply that coupon to the transaction, then go back into Redeem Rewards and Remove that Coupon from the transaction, it will reset the Coupon to be Points, as they should, and not a coupon but a Reward.

I just did it with mine, and that solved it.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 47 of 85

@pessosices 

It looks that worked! Now I see total stars and 1 reward that's redeemable. Thank you!

Message 48 of 85
Beta Member

Why doesn't the online reward system work with a category?  If you can only set up 100 rewards and you have several hundred items and variations then the program just won't work?

Rambler
Message 49 of 85
Admin

@RedRamblerBrent You can set your Loyalty program up so that customers can earn points by items bought within a category! Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 50 of 85
Beta Member

Apparently if you set up the program by category it won't work on the website.  As of this morning they have no time line set for when they will get that fixed. 

Rambler
Message 51 of 85

We have a weebly web site that is linked to square.  Is there a way for people to register their loyalty points, when they make a purchase, in the loyalty program?  

Message 52 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @thedustycanyon 

Yes! Square Loyalty now works automatically with the (Weebly) Online Store!

As long as your points or rewards aren't category based, they will automatically be offered to redeem a reward if they have enough points, and will be asked if they want to register to join the program or earn points if they already have an account!

Super easy and really amazing!

My Loyalty system was category based, but the categories don't sync over to Weebly, so I had to change my program to be Item based. Took a few minutes, and now my customers are thrilled!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 53 of 85
Beta Member

We are wondering the same, did you get an answer to this?

Message 54 of 85
Beta Member

Is there an ETA on this feature request or somewhere we can see its status? Any work arounds in the meantime?

Message 55 of 85

Best Answer

Hello! I would like to let everyone know that you can now use Square Loyalty with all Square Online purchases. This will allow your customers to enroll, redeem, and earn Loyalty points at your checkout page with their phone number.

A few things to keep in mind while you use this feature:

• You must ask for your customer’s phone number during checkout on Square Online. This is a default option that is set to “on.” If this option is off, you can turn it back on in your checkout settings.

• Your customers can redeem rewards during checkout. They can enroll for your Loyalty program, or view their earnings on the order confirmation page

• If you have multiple Square locations: Your Loyalty program is tied to your Online store location. If you have separate Online Stores (each tied to a different location) you must create a separate Loyalty program for each store. You can check if your current Loyalty subscription is tied to your online store location here.

Category-based rewards are not redeemable online at this time.

original-.png

You can find more information in our Overview of Square Loyalty, but feel free to ask any questions you have below as well. Thanks, everyone, for your time!

AshleyK
Message 56 of 85
Super Seller Alumni

Absolutely amazing, thanks so much for the update @AshleyK !

I also love that a new customer can Enroll in the Loyalty program right there too, and that it's not just for existing Loyalty folks (Success, @kellyj!)

Next stop, Category Based Point Earnings & Reward Redemptions!

Thanks again!!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 57 of 85
Beta Member

Can customer redeem the rewards on online store with weebly? I can see every purchase we can setup to contribute to the  customer reward. But we don't see how the customer claim it when they archive the reward.

Thanks,

Message 58 of 85
Admin

Hey @nhienannguyen-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Take a look at the best answer in this thread for some insight and an answer to your question. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 59 of 85

Hi there, can we get a status update on categorical-base reward? Can our customers redeem their point for a discount specifically on a category/categories at the moment?

Message 60 of 85

Hi there, @quinnfromqochon 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

We appreciate you adding your voice here and checking in on this feature. Category based rewards are considered a Feature Request for us currently. However, your customer can choose when they would like to specifically apply their rewards to a particular sale, which would be a workaround in this case. More on that here

Let me know if that is helpful, or likewise let me know if I missed the mark! We are here to help. 

Joe
Message 61 of 85
Super Seller

We have loyalty set up with our Square Account. How do customers claim a loyalty reward when they are checking out through the online store purchase? 

Charles Aaron
Message 62 of 85

Hey @JG_Brewing

I moved your post to a thread with some helpful info on using Loyalty with the Online Store. 

Check out the Best Answer by our Awesome @AshleyK !

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 63 of 85