x

Loyalty: How do i give points to a customer for a past purchase?

How do i give points to a customer that paid cash. I entered her info manually as new customer.

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

at the end of a transaction, it will ask if you want to join or already are a loyalty member and have them add their phone number so it is associated with the reward program.

steps on how you can adjust the loyalty points in the following article.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6130-manage-your-square-loyalty-program

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

at the end of a transaction, it will ask if you want to join or already are a loyalty member and have them add their phone number so it is associated with the reward program.

steps on how you can adjust the loyalty points in the following article.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6130-manage-your-square-loyalty-program

Message 2 of 7

This customer did not use a credit card. I entered her name and phone number manuallay. Now when I go to her profile, I do not see any option to give her reward points that she spent IN CASH.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

it doesn't matter the payment type, loyalty will work with all as long as they enter their phone number for tracking.  If they've been there before and pay cash they just need to enter their phone number and it will associate it with their other credit card purchases.  If it is the first time they visit the store they have to sign up for loyalty, if they haven't signed up for loyalty there isn't a way to add points to their account, but I'm not positive about that.

If you know their phone number you can see if they are in your loyalty system and add points there. 

@pessosices uses loyalty and would be able to answer more of the step by step.

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

To continue what @VanKalkerFarms is saying here...

The flow at the register will be the same regardless of tender type as long as you have loyalty enabled.

-Cashier takes payment

-For cash transactions, the receipt screen will appear. This is not the loyalty screen. 

-Once the receipt screen is cleared, the loyalty screen will show asking for a phone number. The customer will then enter their phone number. Their point tally screen will show after they entered their number.

For cash sales, Square does not know the customer. They will have to enter their number each time. When they pay by credit card, Square can look up the CC info and compare it to the customer database, find the customer, and apply points as needed.

From your side, make sure NOT to hit the New Sale button on the receipt screen. Choose no receipt (or some way of receipt delivery) to get to the loyalty screen. Provided you show the loyalty screen to all cash customers, there should be no reason to go back into the customer data and manually add points. 

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 7

We are in the process of switching from a physical loyalty card to Square's loyalty program. Due to COVID-19, we have suspended the use of physical cards. Many regular customers are still purchasing items that would typical earn rewards, is there a way for them to redeem points on past purchases if they sign up for the loyalty program now?

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Tylerspizza and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread where @VanKalkerFarms provided a link to the Support Center on adjusting your Loyalty settings.

There's a blurb in there about manually adjusting points in your customer's profile and lists the steps. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7