x

Loyalty Program - Rewards on Incorrect Customer(s)

Hello!

I seem to be having issues with our loyalty system. We have quite a handful of customers with zero points added to their loyalty program, but they are also saying they should have some. I know they do, since they were just here the other day and bought something, and that was enough to have at least one added to the rewards.

When I searched the customer base via their phone number, it was an incorrect name with the correct credit info. I do not know how that came to be, but is there any way to unlink the credit card info?

Thanks! Regards,

Jeff

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

That sounds strange @LimeRed! The Loyalty program is based on a customer's phone number, not their payment card — that way customers can earn point for any eligible sale no matter the payment method (cash, different cards). 

The screen inviting customers to enroll in your Loyalty program will appear at the end of every transaction. So I wonder if one customer didn't enter their number to enroll, but the next customer thought the prompt was for them. The Seller Community is a public forum so I can't look up any customers/request information here. If you'd like to call our CS team they can view your Directory and investigate this for you! 

In the meantime, you can edit a customer's name from the app:

1. Navigate to the Customers section of the app > tap on the customer profile.
  2. Tap Edit to then enter the correct name.
  3. Tap Save.

To edit the phone number a customer uses to redeem points from the app:

1. Navigate to the Customers section of the app > tap on the customer profile.
  2. Scroll down to Loyalty Summary > and tap on the phone number.
  3. Tap Edit. When you've entered a new number you'll see a message on the screen that says 'Loyalty Phone Number Updated'.

I hope this helps. I definitely want to make sure your customers are earning their points so if you have any other questions let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

I don't know how this some of this information in this answer is correct, unless something has changed since 2018. Which I am sure it has. I can find nothing explaining what we are experiencing.

We have a lot of customers who make a purchase and at check out their phone number is recognized by the card they use. Points are given automatically. Me and staff often don't even have to ask for the customers phone number. When their loyalty account is pulled up, These same individuals have no card on file or any cards linked in the customer profile to themselves or their loyalty that we can see. 

Tonight, my daughter also and employee, texted me and says that she paid for items for her and a friend with her debit card and the points went to her friends loyalty account. Sure enough, I double checked the transaction to confirm exactly what she said. I went through both their customer profiles and neither of them have a card on file and both of their loyalty phone numbers were correct. They have used each others phone numbers on each other purchases so one or the other gets the points, but none of the information is available on their customer profile or loyalty information of the other person. It is apparent that the Square software does learns and associates the customer card number with their phone number because of the above experiences. It happens with my own card and loyalty account, but my card is not listed in my customer profile anywhere. In fact, when I pay with my phone, I have to give my number because I am not using my chip. When I use my chip, the points are automatically added to my account. 

I have found no way to fix what my daughter and other customers are experiencing when it comes to giving other phone numbers during transactions. Please help me understand this process or fix what is happening. 

Message 3 of 3