x
Beta Member

Am I able to offer tiered type of rewards?

I own a coffee shop. Right now we have 2 different paper punch cards, one for drinks, and one for bags of coffee beans. I want to switch to digital loyalty and use square's program.

1.How would anyone suggest I set up my rewards so that its fair for both types of customers- drink or bean? We also have retail merchandise and I dont really want to include those items in our loyalty program.

2. Can I have more than one type of reward? For example, a category reward for each different merchandise category? 

3. Can you have a reward where a purchase from any of 4 different categories would result in a specific item reward?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Multiple tier rewards in Loyalty have arrived! See more here!

View Best Answer >

Message 28 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Is it possible to offer tiered/multiple redemption rewards in the loyalty program?  It's great to have some higher point options as incentive for people to come more often or spend more to reach the higher reward.

Example - earn 5 stars get $1.00 off , earn 25 stars get a free t-shirt,  earn 500 stars get a pony. etc.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Admin

Hey @Brandjes, a tiered rewards feature isn't an option right now but I really like where you're going with this! As a work-around, you might consider using Square Marketing to reach out to your most frequent customers. For example, you could send an email promotion to a select group with a coupon for a free t-shirt.

I'll be sharing your suggestions with our product liaison team as we're always making improvements based on seller feedback.

Hope this helps for now. Keep in touch for updates, and please feel free to come back with any other insight. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 28

Any word on this Tier stars credit yet? would love to do 5 stars = 10% off, 10 stars = 15% off and 15 stars = 20% off. Thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 28
Square

@ClassifiedTatto - We don't have any updates to share at this point, but I'll be sure to pass along the interest! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 28
Alumni

Hi there 👋 - I'm sharing that we're now accepting merchants for an early access tiered loyalty program. See more on this thread and comment to learn more! 

Message 6 of 28
Alumni

Hi all - Providing an exciting update - You can now create multiple tier rewards in Loyalty. See more here!

Message 7 of 28

I'm currently in the trial period of the Loyalty program.  I do most of my transactions online, here's what I've experienced so far.

Only one rewards system at a time.  Maybe if you pay for multiple locations it lets you set up different rewards for different "shops".

I'm having one heck of a time getting the program to reward my email invoiced customers.  It just won't do it.  I have to go in and manually add their stars every time.  Very frustrating for me and a waste of my time when I thought it linked up to their email addresses.

It works amazingly for purchases with a card in person!  They got their stars and was super smooth.

You can manage the reward program to work with categories.  So a purchase from your chosen areas will give stars.  I have mine set up for each $10 purchase gives a star.  Now, just getting it to reward my non-local customers would be fabulous.

Hope my newbie experience helps answer your questions.  Maybe some more experience people will post their answers too!

Message 8 of 28

Hey there, I couldn't help but notice you said you could edit manually your invoice customers stars. I do not use invoicing, but need to edit regular transactions as square fails to award stars sometimes for reasons I cannot explain. Currently, I'm not seeing any tools to edit based off of receipts. Am I missing something?

Message 9 of 28
Square

Thanks for posting, @cofcof

As @Marissa said, you can designate your rewards to apply to particular categories in order to limit how they are earned. To your second question, there isn't currently the ability to create multiple loyalty programs, so you would be limited to just one reward type for your account. Read more on creating a Loyalty Program with Square in our Support Center, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 10 of 28

What types of rewards are you all offering your customers?

Message 11 of 28

I set up a 10-10-10 reward system. 

Every $10 spent earns a star

Every 10 stars earns a reward

Reward is $10 off next order. 

Message 12 of 28
Super Seller

That is quite the reward @ 10%.  Be careful not to eat too far into your profit.  Best of luck.

Message 13 of 28

That was my initial thought.  But I think I'm planning Every $10 earns a star. 20 Stars earns $10 off your next purchase.

Message 14 of 28
Beta Member

@VickyPierman @Marissa @Spenser Thanks for your feedback. We currently do stamps for each drink, buy 9, get 10th free. Our 2nd stamp card is for coffee beans. Each 1/2# gets a stamps and after 12 1/2#s the customer gets one free. I would prefer to switch to a dollar amount based system, because its not fair to us as a small business for someone to buy 9 small coffees and then get a free large mocha. Which lots of people do. 

Ideally I would like to have 2 different dollar based rewards. One might be any purchase from one of our drink categories equals a star, and after 10 stars you get $2.00 off your next purchase (that would be the equivalent of a free drip coffee or a discounted specialty drink). Then the 2nd reward would be a star for any purchase in our coffee bean categories... 10 stars would get a $5.00 or $8.00 off discount, which would be similar to our current free 1/2# stamp card.

I dont think I can switch to the square loyalty system until there is the ability to do 2 different rewards... @Spenser hopefully that is already in the works!!?? Everytime I hope square will come out with some new feature, they always seem to pull through 😉

Message 15 of 28
Square

Nothing to report at this time in regards to adding more loyalty rewards, @cofcof. I'll be sure to update this thread if that changes. Thanks all!

Message 16 of 28

ugh...I too need tiered type of rewards, I currently offer 6 different things as you acquier more points, you get better discounts. I am using Belly reward system and am constantly dealing with the ipad not working, internt issues with their end, etc... I pay a lot for it 100 dollars a month per location so i was really hoping this would work, but looking like it cannot. I think it would be easy to add several tiers in the reward, since it gives you the ability to offer certain stars for certain purchases, it would be same set up. I am hoping they try to mirror or get simliar to the loyalty card programs out there. 

Message 17 of 28
Square

Thanks for posting, @teresa, I appreciate the example! We'll let you know if this is something we offer in the future.

Message 18 of 28
Beta Member

@teresa @Spenser yes! tiered rewards would be awesome... a customer could choose to save stars until they get to a reward they want to redeem. 20 stars for a free drink, 50 stars for free coffee beans, etc... please send this recommendation to the square development ppl!

Message 19 of 28

Hi there. This is my very first online rewards program and I didn't use punch cards for the reason that it seemed to generate the whole 12 small coffees paid, 1 xl milkshake when freebie came up = expensive nightmare for me.

So I did what I always do when stuck with a lot of research....I cheated. I plundered st*rbucks millions of dollars of research and this is what I found....They give 1 star for every $5, and redeem at $62.50 spent. So I engineered my system to be the same way. The lovely thing is that I set my star limit at $5, so if it doesn't hit $5 they don't get a star.  So I'm automatically encouraging larger purchases. The starbucks system does also allow for half stars, which would be nice if square got to. 

In the meantime, I have a 'tab' system where customers pre pay and then chisel away at it over time. This is nice because register time is always the critical issue for peak sales time and regulars normally are pretty regular/rememberable with their purchases. So we can ring them up later, because we already have their money.

I mention this because if we have a 16 oz coffee person who wants stars, now they have added encouragement to get a tab (because $10 or $20 on a tab = 2 or 4 stars, while 16 oz coffee = 0 stars). This reduces my processing fees, and it gets their body out of my line/off the register during peak times. Also, there is a fun phenomenon called 'tab euphoria' where the customer starts adding bakes or other food onto their order because they are dissasociated from the money part (don't fault me, credit card companies enjoy this perk all the time!) so there's a bit of a sales pop once you get the customer onto the tab.

So, essentially, the need for tiered rewards is eliminated because it all boils down to the cash they spend vs the item they buy. I have always hated the buy 12, get one free thing.  It's a crappy system (in my opinion) that encourages horrid discount-seeker types to 'game' the system. Loyalty should promote...loyalty. Our dear, wonderful customers who support us as we struggle to compete in a field of giants who get amazing subsidies from local and federal governemnts (there is no way they are taxed like we are) as well as the benefits of the economy of scale...those people, they are the ones who deserve a littlle treat because they treat us so well. I like that the square system is dollar based, better controls for us.

I suppose you could set the dollar = star thing and then just make 60 stars the reward. I might try that if the transition onto tabs doesn't continue successfully. However, my shop is season. During on season I get clogged with families having vacation experiences while my regulars freak out and leave when they see the lines. Tab cards retain my regulars, which is good because come winter I'll desperately need them for revenue. 

Message 20 of 28

I am in the same boat with you. We currently use Perka (or should I say used since we were forced out effective yesterday - unless we opt to buy a stand-alone system to process our loyalty perks through them). I have a small bakery/coffee shop and try to drive sales to our most profitable items so we have 4 categories of rewards (hot beverage, iced tea, combo lunch, smoothies/frappes).

We currently offer a buy 11, get one free rewards system. Perka also tracked loyal customers and identified the ones who were the most frequent visitors. We rewarded our most loyal customers with a VIP status so they received their rewards more frequently (tiered status - most loyal received free item after 9 purchases.)

I was waiting for Square to come up with a program where we could identify POS items to track for the rewards. Now I am without an online rewards program and we are back to punch cards - four per customer. Ugh!

Message 21 of 28