x

Magstripe not working with Chip Cards

I bought a contactless chip reader with a back up Magstripe reader. I was going to test Magstripe reader with my credit card, but it keeps saying "Please insert  Card. This chip card must be inserted." There are chip cards that cannot be used with Magstripe? How do I use my card with Magstripe? Please advise.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@cfart

Welcome to the Community! Glad to have you here, and happy you found us.

Is the Contactless and Chip Reader connected when you are attempting to swipe the card? If a Chip Reader is present, the card will automatically default to being used with the chip reader itself. 

If you disconnect and turn off the reader, the Magnetic Strip option should be available.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

@cfart

Welcome to the Community! Glad to have you here, and happy you found us.

Is the Contactless and Chip Reader connected when you are attempting to swipe the card? If a Chip Reader is present, the card will automatically default to being used with the chip reader itself. 

If you disconnect and turn off the reader, the Magnetic Strip option should be available.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 2 of 4

Thank you! As you said, when I disconnected the Contactless and Chip Reader, the Magstripe Reader worked! It's great to have a place that I can get answers. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@cfart

You're very welcome, glad it's working!

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 4 of 4