x

Mid shift cash drawer change

I would like each shift register person to have a set amount at the beginning of their shift. And at the end, they just pull the drawer and count it offsite for their deposit. How can we do this seamlessly so if it's busy a new cashier can come in and just insert their drawer and start a new one while the shift end can pull their drawer and do their "checkout" without getting in the way of the operation?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

You'd need a second drawer that is already counted to the correct starting amount, but what I do is this.  I end the drawer and assume that the amount there is the expected amount.  I then start a new drawer with the correct starting amount, and print a drawer history report for the drawer I just closed.  I then count the drawer that I just closed, and note any shortages in a spreadsheet I keep for tracking cash deposits.  Once that drawer is counted, it is ready to repeat the process at the next shift change.

Message 2 of 4

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Mid shift cash drawer change

Is there a way to name two different cash drawers so that a drawer can be counted while another drawer was being started for the next shift? Seems it would be easy programming to have "Drawer 1" and "Drawer 2" that all report to the same square account. This would allow, when it's busy, to just grab a drawer out, put the new drawer in with predetermined opening amount and start Drawer 2 with that number. After drawer 1 is counted, they could come back and close it and print a report.

Would love to see this implemented if it's not already.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hello @thirdspace and welcome to the Seller Community! 😀

I'm adding your post to this thread where another seller shared how they manage mid shift cash drawer changes.

Or, have you tried adding the 'name' of the cash drawer as the cash drawer description? To do this from the Point of Sale app:

1. Tap Settings > Cash Drawer.
  2. Then tap Start Drawer.
  3. At the top of the screen you'll see Drawer Description and you can tap Enter optional description to enter text like 'Drawer 1'. (The description will save automatically - tap the keyboard icon to dismiss the keyboard.)
  4. Enter the starting amount and continue as normal.

Then, when you need to change the drawer follow steps 1-3 but enter 'Drawer 2' in the description field instead. 

This description will appear in the Cash Drawer report emailed to you, and in the Cash Drawer report available from your online Square Dashboard. 

I really hope this helps! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4