x

Multiple Coupons: How do I limit the number of coupons applied per transaction?

I plan on having multiple "$5 off" coupons in use and I want unique coupon codes so I can track where people are getting the promo codes from (specific craft shows, etc.)

But, what if a customer gets a hold of 2 different coupon codes? Is there a way to limit the # of coupons applied per transaction? I want to limit coupon stacking to avoid someone combining offers. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @thyolivetree, I checked in with our eCommerce folks and the ability to support multiple coupons online for a single payment is not available—so there's no need to worry about someone taking advantage of the system. Once your customer uses one of the coupon codes on the order, they won’t be able to use another one on the same order. Hope this helps address your concern—if I'm missing the mark, please let me know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Admin

Hello @thyolivetree! Helen here from the Community team 👋.

If you're planning to use Square Marketing to create and share coupons, there isn't a way to limit the number of times a Marketing coupon can be redeemed. However, as I mentioned in a different thread you can set an expiration date for the coupon  or monitor the campaign closely and cancel it (and the coupon) after it has been redeemed X number of times. 

Keep in mind that coupons sent via Square marketing are manually entered by you at the Point of Sale. So, you could state the 'coupon redemption terms; in your campaign to make it clear only one coupon can be redeemed per sale. That way if someone turns up with two coupons you can refer them to the terms.

Hope this helps you get started! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 29

Hi @Helen. Thanks for your response. I was referring to my online store and not POS. In person I could explain coupon rules, but not online. Unless there is a setting that allows me to turn off the ability for a customer to apply more than one coupon code during an online purchase?

Message 3 of 29
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @thyolivetree, I checked in with our eCommerce folks and the ability to support multiple coupons online for a single payment is not available—so there's no need to worry about someone taking advantage of the system. Once your customer uses one of the coupon codes on the order, they won’t be able to use another one on the same order. Hope this helps address your concern—if I'm missing the mark, please let me know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 29

@Tom - That is great to know! Thanks for clarifying and answering my question. 

Message 5 of 29
Beta Member

WRONG. This is my current issue. I indeed have TWO customers TODAY that were able to combine FIVE coupons on ONE order. All different coupon codes they've accumulated, then at the checkout, the website allowed them to enter in MULTIPLE  different coupons. The issue here, is the website should ONLY allow ONE code per transaction or at the very least allow ME to block them from doing that. So now, because of stacking, one order went from over $300 to $116 PLEASE FIX!! 

Message 6 of 29
Beta Member

Hello,

I see Tom’s answer is from over a year ago so I just want to confirm - Does online still limit one coupon code per transaction? Or can customers now use multiple coupon codes in one transaction?

Message 7 of 29
Admin

I can confirm that what @Tom said is still correct - at this time, a Square Online store a customer can only use one coupon during checkout.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 8 of 29
Beta Member

Hello,

I just had an online transaction with 2 20% off coupons entered. Is there a way to prevent this?

Message 9 of 29
Square Community Moderator

@GreenHouseJuice Thanks for reaching out! The ability to use more than one coupon for your online checkout is a feature request. Did the customer use the same coupon twice, or two separate ones? Is it possible you had an item for sale that was purchased?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 29
Beta Member

Thanks for replying! I think I figured it out. When my customer uses a 20% off total sale, in the transaction details it showing the amount taken off each item 🙃

Message 11 of 29
Alumni

No worries!! Glad you figured it out. I'll let @AshleyK know. @GreenHouseJuice

Justin
Message 12 of 29
Beta Member

It's a lie because square do process double coupon and not only that, it doesn't let merchants avoid double coupons

Message 13 of 29

Hello Tom,

How do we correct this problem....we offer veteran discount of 15% at our store.  We created a Coupon CODE for veterans to be able to use when shopping online, but if we put an item on sale (add a Sale Price) online, then they get 15% off the sale price vs the original/regular price.  The POS doesn't allow this to happen because it will automatically choose the better of the two discounts in store.  I wish the website would do the same.  We don't give out Coupon Codes because we always have products we put on sale....

I am open to suggestions or if SQ software developers can fix the website to match the POS functionality.

Thanks,

John

Message 14 of 29

Hey there, @Twistedhornmead

Welcome back to the Community! 

Currently, you can only use one coupon code per order. Adding multiple coupons would be a Feature Request. I appreciate you reaching out about this, so we can continue to evolve this product. 

I will tag this as a Feature Request for our Product Team to get some eyes on it. 

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 15 of 29

Hi, I want to limit coupons to 1 per person in my online store.  For example, i want to set up a coupon that will:

1. provide 1 free glass per person

2. Only allow this to be redeemed with a purchase over a set amount, say $50 

Currently no matter how i do this there are unlimited glasses provided per person.  ie if i set this up a set dollar coupon, and the user selects 10 glasses, they get 10 free glasses...  I only want them to get 1 free glass, and pay for the other 9.  The second part is that this free glass in only available if they spend a minimum amount.

Please let me know if you have any ideas how to achieve this.   Thx!

Message 16 of 29

Hey there @HighParkBrewery

I moved your post to a thread with some helpful info on your questions about limiting coupons. 

Check out the Best Answer by Helen and Tom for more info. 👀

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Kassi
Message 17 of 29

Thanks Kassi.  The ecommerce answer was about multiple coupons per online sale.  My issue is with the same coupon being applied multiple times in one online sale.

If i set up a couple for 100% off a specific item - ie so that a customer can get a free glass for instance, then if they order 2 glasses they will get both for free, 3 glasses = 3 free glasses etc.  I want to only allow them to use the coupon for one item so that:

1 glass purchase = 1 free glass

2 glasses purchase = 1 free glass, plus 1 glasses at full price

5 glasses purchase = 1 free glass, plus 4 glasses at full price

Secondly, i only want this available when they have spent a certain dollar minimum, say $50.  If they order $48 worth of goods (including glasses) then they would pay full price for all.  If they ordered $52 worth of goods, then they would be eligible for a free glass at no further charge.

Hope this is clear.  Thanks, Ted 

Message 18 of 29

@HighParkBrewery

Ahhh I see what you mean! Sorry for the confusion. What you're asking sounds like a Feature Request for using coupons. 

This can be tagged for our Product Team to get eyes on. Our products are still evolving, so it will be great to see this feedback. 

Thank you for taking the time to reach out! 

Kassi
Message 19 of 29

Hi @Kassi_ Can you please tag this thread for me with your developers or move to the appropriate spot?

Thanks  TC

Message 20 of 29

Does anyone from Square know if the option to use multiple coupons online will be coming??? I am desperately wanting my customers to be able to use multiple coupons. 

Message 21 of 29