x

Multiplication Key Feature - Will We See It in a Square POS app update?

I have seen the questions and responses related to my thread topic. Every cash register or digital POS 'register' I have every used allowed the cashier to press a 'mulitplication' key, enter a number (representing the quantity of the same item to be purchased) and then scan the product's barcode. That feature saves a lot of time. I realize that the Square POS app does not have this feature presently and that there are a couple of 'workarounds' that do not save much time.

My question is "Does Square plan on adding this feature to the POS app?"

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

@LRF, you are aware if you ring the item up you can just touch the item rung up and add as many as you need. It works very well for us and is just as quick as a multipler key.

Message 2 of 4

Ron,  I look after a 9 day annual fundraising event. We sell fireworks out of a 30'x30' tent for 12 hours each day. During the last 3 days, 3 or 4 times per day, we will have 10 people, or more, waiting to pay for product at each of two register tables ... waiting in a hot tent, usually with small children, wanting to get home, have dinner and enjoy their fireworks. I rather not scroll through a list of about 100 products to find one and hit that item's image or product name up to 15 times and then look for what might be 10 other items to do the same thing. I want to scan and bag, run their card and send them on their way with a smile.

My cashier's are used to using the old-style electronic cash register which allowed them to count the items presented, hit the multiplier key and a number key representing the quantity and then scan one of the items ... which was usually faster than scanning each similar item. There was no looking up a product on the register .... you either manually entered a price (if you knew it) and hit the tax key or scanned the barcode which automatically added tax. Going with a Square system will present a bit of a learning curve to my volunteer staff and I want to make the standard transaction as familiar, and quick, as possible.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hey @LRF, thanks for the additional details. Sounds like the firework sales time will be busy - I actually used to volunteer in a tent like that years ago and remember it being very hectic. I hear ya on wanting to make the process as familiar and fast as possible for your cashiers - thanks for posting here about the multiplier button, we will take the request back to our product teams, but it isn't likely to be updated soon - is your event for 4th of July? 

@LRF, I also want to give you kudos for not only helping organize the fundraiser, but for making the switch to Square! There's always a learning curve with any new system, and we think that after going through it you'll find you might save some time in other ways with Square. 

Also thanks @Ron for your reply!   

Message 4 of 4