x

My magstripe reader is having trouble swiping cards, what can I do?

I have to keep swiping a credit card many times before it recognizes the card.

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

There could be a couple things going on here. With a bit of troubleshooting, we should be able to get this issue sorted out! Check out these steps below:

1. Make sure the black magnetic stripe is facing the thickest part of the card reader. ​

2. Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.

3. Firmly plug in the reader. You'll hear a small click when the reader has been correctly inserted.

4. Make sure there is no lint or dust in your headset jack.

5. Wipe the metal connector with a cloth.

6. Disable any Bluetooth wireless headsets or earpieces while taking payment cards.

7. Remove the app from your device and reinstall. See Apple's support site and Google's support site for instructions on how to do so. (Before uninstalling, make sure you've uploaded any payments accepted while in Offline Mode by connecting your mobile device to the Internet. Deleting the app will permanently remove pending offline payment data and the funds will not be captured).

If you're still having issues, please reply with the exact make and model of the smartphone/tablet you're using.

You can also check out this Support Center Article: Square Magstripe Reader Troubleshooting

Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

I had this same problem.  My reader does not have a USB port.  So it does not need to be charged.  I was able to do ONE test transaction for $1.00 to test if we were up and running.  That was a chip card that I just swiped because I have the free reader.  So I then did a $1.00 refund for that test transaction.  All good to go.  Then I had a customer #1 come in.  I used their card (no memory if it was a chip card or not) and the card would not read in the reader.  I ended up having to key in the credit card.  Then customer #2 come in.  Tried to swipe their card.  Reader would not read it.  Etc.  Etc.  So many days has gone by now, and the reader has only read one card total.  We had to key in all the other transactions, which makes more money for Square....but that is not the point...., right?  The Square point of sale App downloaded from the Apple store was just done last week.  The microphone has been checked, and it is ready for this device.  And let's face it....it did work one time.  So, what is the problem?  How will un-installing the app - which is working, by the way, because I can easily key in every card that comes into my hands -- how will un-installing the app make the reader work AGAIN.  Remember, it already worked ONCE.  But why did it stop working?

Message 43 of 49
Admin

If your reader doesn't have a USB port or doesn't need to be charged you have the magstripe reader @HerbsAndMore!

It does sound strange that the reader was able to process your test transaction but nothing else. Did you have a protective case on your device? If so I recommend removing it as a case can prevent the reader from connecting with your device properly. 

I went ahead and moved your post here so you can see all of the troubleshooting steps for the magstripe reader on the first page of this thread. If you're still having trouble accepting payments after going through each step let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 44 of 49

No protective case.  So nothing to remove.

Message 45 of 49
Alumni

Hey @HerbsAndMore - Have you tried all of the other troubleshooting tips? If you did and you're still having issues, can you provide the make and model of your device?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 46 of 49

I had the same problem as other posts here in this list.  My card reader for chip cards is fine and I can key in numbers all day in the Square app but the mag stripe reader was a no-go.  I took my cover off (Royal PITA) because it did not snap into place in my iphone with a distinct click but I could not see into the headphone jack well to see if there were any obstructions. Even with the cover off it still didn't allow the mag strip reader to click into my headphone jack. I tried to play music through wired headphones.  (I always use bluetooth so I have not been using the headphone jack for ages).  Anyways if you can't play music out your headphone jack I doubt the mag stripe reader will work using same connection. I found a small plastc zip tie (cable tie) on my desk and thought it would be perfect since sticking a metal device into my phone seemed a poor idea.  It took several swipes by putting the small tapered end up into the jack and swiveling it around then it flicked out a few chunks of lint.  After this it swipes my card each time and if you have a $0.00 sale you can test it all you want- it should tell you card type and last 4 digits.

Message 47 of 49

My magstripe works fine on my iPad, but not at all on my phone. It’s a compatible device but during setup, square didn’t recognize my address and I’m not sure how to fix that now. Or, if that’s even the problem.

Message 48 of 49
Square Community Moderator

Hi @KatieJRoberts

Your address shouldn't impact the ability to accept magstripe cards on your phone so long as it's a compatible device like you mentioned. 

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on a few troubleshooting steps that you can try. Let me know if any of those tips help. 

Message 49 of 49