x

NEW: how to correct a bad import of customer data

I'm trying to import my customer list from a CSV file and I keep getting an error "Wrong Number of Fields". I've downloaded the template and copy/pasted my email list info one at a time and still get an error. Then I tried exporting a list of what I currently have entered, changed the fields to match...still get the same error. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

I am also getting an error when I import my customer list "wrong number of fields".

Only first  15 imported of several hundred customers imported.

I am on a mac, tried Chrome and firefox browsers. Deleted cache on both browsers then restarted browsers. Using the .csv template provided  by square.

I also reordered the list from the 15th entry to see if there was something specific. 

Message 2 of 6
Alumni

Hey there @Dawgs64 & @1hbomb - sorry you're having trouble importing your customers. Have you looked at these most common importing errors yet? You'll find some troubleshooting tips that might help. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for that JusinC. I did double check all of that. None address the error I was getting. It took two square customer service folks to get in imported correctly.

The second was a customer directory specific one. 

From what I understand, the second person copy and pasted my list into goggle sheets and resaved it as a .csv doc then imported it. 

Message 4 of 6
Alumni

Ah, Sweet! 🙌 I'm glad Support was able to help. Spreadsheets are super finicky and a pain to import in my opinion lol. Thanks for sharing the fix with us.

@Dawgs64, hopefully @1hbomb's post helped with next steps! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks for this 1hbomb. I was facing the same issue and tried this workaround and it worked. 

@JustinC this should be marked as the correct answer. I was looking at another thread 'Import customer names and email' which didn't show this answer. Thank you.

Message 6 of 6