x

Open Tickets: Can I Pay partial amounts? How long does a ticket stay open?

I use Square POS on an android phone.

Can I use Open Tickets on this platform?

How long may I leave a ticket open? (I am thinking of using this feature to track a customer payment plan)

Can I use Split Ticket on this platform to receive multiple payments from a customer?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, 

You can absolutely use the Open Tickets feature from your Android phone. 

Open Tickets stay open indefinitely, so they'll remain open until you close them out. 

While you can use the Split Payment feature with Open Tickets, the ticket will need to be closed out in full. 

You're not able to accept a partial payment for an open ticket and keep that ticket open with a remaining amount. 

This is a pretty popular feature request, so I'll let our Product Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

Hopefully a fellow seller can chime in with their own workaround. If you come up with something interesting as a solution, we'd love to hear about it!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Best Answer

Hi there, 

You can absolutely use the Open Tickets feature from your Android phone. 

Open Tickets stay open indefinitely, so they'll remain open until you close them out. 

While you can use the Split Payment feature with Open Tickets, the ticket will need to be closed out in full. 

You're not able to accept a partial payment for an open ticket and keep that ticket open with a remaining amount. 

This is a pretty popular feature request, so I'll let our Product Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

Hopefully a fellow seller can chime in with their own workaround. If you come up with something interesting as a solution, we'd love to hear about it!

Message 2 of 18

I really need this feature! I have to delete ticket pay in a certain amount customer has paid then make a new ticket for remaining amount. I have a bar and our regular people run a tab and pay through out the week or end of the week on it. So it would be nice to be able to do a partial/custom payment to an open ticket.

Message 3 of 18

I have open tickets go which I save purchases made by my employees. Is there a way that one could make a partial payment, while the remainder stays in the system as an open ticket?

Or, is there a better way to allow employees to basically run a tab and pay on it as they can?

Message 4 of 18

Hi @thegrindhouston

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as a fellow seller had the same question a while back. 

It's not something that's available currently, but it does make sense to have this ability. Hopefully we can improve this in the near future. 

Message 5 of 18

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Message 6 of 18

This would be a very welcomed feature! We too have a LOT of regular customers who run a tab (ticket) and would like to pay a large portion but can't always pay in full. As of now, I split the ticket to as close as possible to what they'd like to pay but it doesn't always work. To ba able to put a monetary amount down on a ticket would be fantastic. Thank you for your time.

Message 7 of 18

I need that in my business. I need to be able to accept partial payments so my clients can be able to afford more services.

Message 8 of 18
Alumni

Hey @thelotusflower - Welcome to the Community. I'm afraid partial payments with open tickets is still a feature request we're continuously tracking. 

Maybe you'd be interested in requesting deposits with Invoices -  this allows you to request payment for a portion of the sale upfront as a deposit, and set a separate due date for the remaining balance. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 18

What a dumb answer ! 

In 2017 you guys said “This is a pretty popular feature request, so I'll let our Product Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future. ”

In early 2019 you guys said “It's not something that's available currently, but it does make sense to have this ability. Hopefully we can improve this in the near future. ”

Now it’s 2020 and at the end of last year you said “I'm afraid partial payments with open tickets is still a feature request we're continuously tracking. Maybe you'd be interested in requesting deposits with Invoices -  this allows you to request payment for a portion of the sale upfront as a deposit, and set a separate due date for the remaining balance. ”

Well what’s your answer now ? Is it a popular request or do you want us to start invoicing our customers who have tabs ???????????????? Quit giving us advice to do stuff we DON’T want to do and get a solution figured out to what we NEED !

3 years have gone by and you haven’t done a thing. I need this now with over 20 open tabs to take care of.

Message 10 of 18
Admin

I'm sorry for the wait on this feature @OlliesFollie. I know it's frustrating to play the waiting game on features that will help improve your daily operations.

The Life of a Feature Request can sometimes be a long journey. Our Product teams do their best to prioritize the hundreds of features they receive each week. While I don't have a great answer for you in regards to this particular request you're waiting to hear about, I promise that we're not avoiding it either.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 18

I was about to say the same thing.. Its been 3 years and one of the most crucial features is still does not exist on square.  Partial payment on an open ticket!!! You should be able to exit an open ticket without canceling the partial payment already made. 

Message 12 of 18

Hi, @Bajas thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I hear you - this has taken a long time! I don't currently have an update for you or a timeline for when this feature will be released, but I can suggest a small workaround that may help. You are able to split open tickets, so if you know a customer will want to make a partial payment for, say an appetizer, you can split that ticket and have that appetizer paid for. While it isn't a full partial payment, it can help if you are in a crunch.v

for say the example above, if a party needs separate checks, you can split an open ticket to charge each person individually. To split a ticket:

1. Tap Tickets > select an existing ticket to open.
  2. Tap the arrow in the top-right corner > Split Ticket.
  3. Tap the item(s) you’d like to move to a new ticket > Split New Ticket. Repeat this for each new ticket.
  4. Tap Save at the bottom of each ticket, or Save All at the top-right corner.

Each new ticket will show the original ticket name and will be numbered by order of creation. You can rename, modify, or delete the original and all new tickets at any time. When your customers are ready to pay, locate their open ticket and close the sale.

AshleyK
Message 13 of 18

Hi @AshleyK 

Unfortunately splitting will not work if it is not an even split but also it is inconvenient. I cant believe it is taking this long to get a feature added. I am having to sign up with a different POS company for a new project because of this feature missing. Its seems like what we need and what everyone needs is as follows..

- Enter a partial payment on an open ticket

- Save the ticket with remaining balance so payment can be processed later for the balance

(Saving needs to happen without cancelling the partial payment. Right now you cannot exit out of an open ticket unless you cancel the partial payment or pay it in full. So there is no partial payment option)

Message 14 of 18

It's 2023 and I don't understand why this is not a feature yet. It's ridiculous,  makes me rethink using square for my business. 

Message 15 of 18

Hi there, @LVR - Thanks for following up on this thread. Depending on your business needs, you may want to look into using Square Invoices to break payments up for your customers.

With Square Invoices, you can request payment for a portion of your total Invoice amount upfront as a deposit and set a separate due date for the remaining balance. With these deposits, you can create a single Invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments. You can learn more about Square Invoices here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 16 of 18

That is not practical for my business. Square needs to listen to their customers and get a parcial bill payment option.

Message 17 of 18

I see. Thanks for your reply, @LVR.

I recommend that you submit this suggestion as a feature request through Ideate. We’d love to share your requests with our product team. In order to do that, please submit following the format outlined here. Check out an example of what a great single feature request post looks like. 

Violet
Message 18 of 18