x

Need to change default tax setting

Is there a way to turn taxes off when adding new items? This seems like it should be in the settings somewhere

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hi @randalstroup! When you add a new item to your Item Library either on the app or in your Dashboard, you can remove the tax from that particular item. 

In the Dashboard, you'll click the blue link that says Sales Tax. It will pull up the tax that you already have created and allow you to toggle off the tax:

You can also choose to remove the tax from an item after you add it to the transaction. This article walks you through how to disable Tax in-app.

Let me know if you're looking for more information on this!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 10

I am aware of both of these "work-around" solutions, but neither offer the solution I am after. I need a switch that can be toggled under general settings for when new items are entered. We have numerous taxes integrated into our system due to the need for charging shipping/handling fees based on percentages. Toggling all of these off for every new item is just plain painful and silly. Also, many times our items are being entered as quickly as possible when receiving new inventory, and having to switch all these off manually is not a reliable option.

Please give me a setting I can toggle off/on!

Message 3 of 10

Furthermore, I question the assumption that having taxes set to "on" by default for new items makes much sense at all. For many stores like ours (a grocery store), the vast majority of products are not taxable.

However, I must provide the caveat that the setting switch I'm after should be provided individually/uniquely for various locations, as our cafe location does offer primarily taxable products/services.

Message 4 of 10
Admin

@randalstroup So if you're talking about having this toggle show when you're adding items in the app- I hear you loud and clear. Because that is very time consuming to have to toggle off each tax in app.

The easiest way to do this would be to add your items from the Online Dashboard (as shown in the picture above). I understand that not everyone has a laptop/desktop readily available in store to add items. But if you can add them there on the Dashboard, de-selecting the check mark on the Taxes button will remove all taxes from a new item that's added to your Item Library.

Like I said- I know sometimes that's not feasible. So I'll pass this feedback along to our Product Team to let them know that you'd appreciate a toggle in the app, or at least have items default to the taxes being disabled. That makes a lot of sense!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 10

Thank you!

Message 6 of 10

I also need a solution to this. The vast majority of my products are wholesale and weeding through items that were recently added to turn off the sales tax because the wrong check box is selected by default is time consuming and frustrating.

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi, @Brad265367, thanks for adding your vote here!

While we don't have any further news to share on the default tax settings changing when adding a new item (apart from manually unticking the tax at the time the item is created), have you ever used the bulk import tool to upload new items?

I'm just wondering if this would be worth your while if you created a tax, as you can set this to 'Yes' or 'No' to apply to your imported items from the template. This would enable you to bulk update tax settings for multiple items, rather than going in and changing each item on an individual basis.

To get started, have a read through our Import Items Online article and let us know if you have any questions about this option.

We recommend testing this with an individual item before performing a bulk action to ensure it delivers the desired results.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 10

any update on this requirement?  It's really quite time consuming and annoying

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @rustyravenng thanks for reaching out! At this time this feature is not available, please see the workarounds Nika and Laurie provided above. We are now tracking feature requests on our Ideate Board so feel free to reach out there to add your input. 

We appreciate your feedback!  

Message 10 of 10