x

New Square Online Store: How do I arrange the order of my items?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: sort items in online store

I have a series of 4 classes in my online store and they are in the correct order when I set them up, however when one clicks on the public link, they default to being sorted from newest to oldest.  This results in the classes not being listed in the correct order.   I have numbered them, but that does not solve the issue.   Is there a way to force the order of the items listed?   (I see some old posts about sorting but the functionality appears to have changed since then).  Or is there another way around this someone can think of?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

[Note: This answer has been updated by a moderator to include new options for Square Online stores.]

Hi @Lynn02! You can rearrange the order of your classes by creating a category first. For example, you could create a category called 'Classes'. After you add your products to this category you can move the products up/down as needed. 

If you have a Shop All page, go to that page within the website editor, click on Item List, then click on Arrange and Add items. There's a dropdown there to choose which sorting is default, and with the custom option you can also click and drag items to change the order.

If you have any other questions about this let me know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Admin

Best Answer

[Note: This answer has been updated by a moderator to include new options for Square Online stores.]

Hi @Lynn02! You can rearrange the order of your classes by creating a category first. For example, you could create a category called 'Classes'. After you add your products to this category you can move the products up/down as needed. 

If you have a Shop All page, go to that page within the website editor, click on Item List, then click on Arrange and Add items. There's a dropdown there to choose which sorting is default, and with the custom option you can also click and drag items to change the order.

If you have any other questions about this let me know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 33

Thanks your your response, Helen.

Yes I did set up a category and have the classes listed in the order I want them on the online store setup screen (in weebly).   Is that what you are referring to?

However, if I then click on the domain link provided (that external people would use)-- it defaults to sorting them by newest to oldest and not in the order I have them set up.  

Message 3 of 33
Admin

Can you try changing your Shop Now button on the homepage to link to the category page instead? That should respect the order you've set.

Click on the Shop Now button > then on the left click Action > click Shop All (again on the left).

If this doesn't do the trick reply here to let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 33
Beta Member

I would like my items to be shown as the "newest" added to my online shop, but it is set to "popularity". For some reason it was set to "newest" and it is now defaulting to "popularity"

Message 5 of 33

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do I pin an item to the top of my online "shop all" page?

By default when I go to my website, it lists products in the order they were created. But, I want my customers to see my main product first and not have to scroll down to find it. How can I reorder or change the settings so that a specific product appears first?

Message 6 of 33
Admin

Hello again @thyolivetree!

I'm adding your post to this thread where I shared the steps to create a category and then arrange the order of your products in that category.

Lem know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 33

Hi @Helen,

I created 2 categories- books and cards. Everything is ordered correctly within the categories, but I still can't get books to appear above cards in my online store. So it doesn't really fix the problem. Even when I go in and arrange the Book category to appear above the Card category, it doesn't change the order it appears online. Suggestions?

Message 8 of 33
Admin

Hmm, if you've rearranged your categories (Store > Products > Categories > drag/drop categroies) the new order should appear on your Shop All page.

Can you reply with a screenshot of the page you're looking where the categories are not in the order you've set? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 33

Sure. This is how I've set up my categories:

Capture2.PNGAnd this is how my shop looks:

Capture.PNGEven though books is my first category, my book appears last on the page...

Message 10 of 33
Admin

Thank you! From the screenshot you'll see that your categories are in the order you've set up - 'Books' is showing above 'Greeting Prayer Cards'. 

The Shop All Now screen also has a filter on the right-hand side and from your screensot it's currently showing your items by 'Newest': so it will display the items you've just added first because they are 'newer'. That dropdown menu controls the order of items on that page so if you/your customers click it they should see other options and that will change the order of the items on the page.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 33

Yes, but I don't want my customers to see newest products first. I want them to see my featured product first. Otherwise, my main products will end up at the bottom of my page over time. How can I change the filters so that customers don't see newest products first?

Message 12 of 33
Admin

Hi @thyolivetree—Tom stepping in for Helen today. I checked in with our Online Store folks and the ability to change the default setting to show featured products isn't available on the Shop All page at this time. They are tracking this request and we'll announce any developments here as soon as they come through.

For now, you might try using the Featured Products section on a regular site page to show off just what you want featured, then link to the Shop All page from that. Hope this helps surface the correct items in the meantime!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 33
Beta Member

I too have an issue with the Sort feature and the way items are arranged on the SHOP ALL page. All my other category pages have the items arranged how I want them - alphabetically. But when you go to the Shop All page, they are arranged by newest (and the sort function is set to newest). I want the default to be alphabetical - that is the way a customer would search for my type of product. How can I change this?

Shari

Message 14 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hi @safsac!

Unfortunately there's not a way to arrange alphabetically like you're looking for but I can pass the request along to our Online Store team for future improvements.

See how Feature Requests work here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 33

This functionality is essential to feature a seasonal product or a featured line.  Either let us order the categories when a customer selects shop-all, or let us change which category that appears first as a default!

Message 16 of 33

Hi all,

With the understanding that the issue at hand is the desire to change the default view of the page using the "Shop All" (retail) template to display your featured items ("Popular") from the default of ("Newest"), I propose the following solution to address it:

Go to Site Edit

Select Shop All under Category Pages

Select the Page Sections called Items List

Select Arrange & add Items

Change Arrangement from Newest to Popularity

Select Publish in the top right hand corner

I hope this helps @thyolivetree and @wawwboutique 

@safsac a similar solution will work for your request to list items alphabetically. Just change Arrangment from Newest to Alphabetical (a-z)

Cheers,

Fah

Message 17 of 33
Alumni

Thank you for the insight and jumping in to help @monasianmarket, much appreciated!

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 18 of 33

That's how it is supposed to work, and it has worked that way for me in the past...but now, it is not working.

Message 19 of 33

I just tried monasianmarket's method, but it didn't fix the problem.

Message 20 of 33
Admin

@GRO Can you reach out to our Support Team?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 21 of 33