x

New to Square. Need help choosing how to enter items in pos system

I have a home decor store so most of my items are from different vendors and don't have specific categories.  Should I be entering all my items under home decor category or should I put in by vendor (only problem with this is if I have someone else work and they wont know.  I also sell a chalk paint line so I have different paints, different sizes and different colors.  Also carry candles and candle drizzle melts with different scents.  Can someone please help me? I want to make my initial setup work before I go and enter a bunch of stuff and screw it up!!!  Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Would someone care to answer this? I'm sure others have a similar question.

Message 2 of 3
Admin

Hi @madisonreed! There's no single correct way to set up your items or categories as each business is so different. 

There are a couple of things to keep in mind, such as what reports do you need to see? You can download Category and Item Sales reports from your Dashboard.  Will you be using the Point of Sale app to take sales, or will you be mostly sending invoices? Arranging items into specific categories can help to manage items from the app but if your adding items to an invoice you can type to search for an item.

If you need even more features you could consider Square for Retail which has additional inventory features with Inventory Plus and Advanced Reporting too.

I hope this helps you to get started! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 3