x
PaleoPet

New to inventory: need help with cases that are sold as single items

I am moving from Lightspeed Retail POS to Square for Retail POS. In Lightspeed they have box and single item types. Box items can have a single item attached to them so that the box item can be "broken" into singles for customers so they can purchase an assortment of single items. I have a pet store so I sell a lot of canned foods. When I order canned goods from my supplier I have to purchase the cans in case quantities, but when we receive the cases we break them into singles. We don't sell cases unless a customer requests a case of something. So I need the flexibility of ordering cases from my supplier, but then I'd like that case to be sold as a case or as singles from the shelf. Does anyone have a solution for this? I am new to Square inventory so I am not sure if there is already a way to do this. I could not find anything in the help section other than units referring to food measures. Maybe I need to create custom units for the cases of cans? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Re: New to inventory: need help with cases that are sold as single items

Hello @PaleoPet

Square Inventory is a bit different and can be tricky to set up items that you sell in bulk and individually. As you mentioned, you could units and create a custom 'can' unit; that way when you select the can item at checkout you'll be prompted to enter how many cans you're selling. You could also create a separate 'case' item (with a discounted price for example) — but you'd have to keep in mind that to track inventory you'd need to the number of cans per case when you receive stock (e.g. 20 cans). 

I hope this helps you get started! If you'd like to give us a call we have a Retail team who can answer your questions and learn more about your inventory needs! 

Message 2 of 4
PaleoPet

Hi Helen, thank you for confirming that the item unit feature can help with tracking cases and related single items. What is the best way to import my existing items from the other POS I am switching over from? I’ve been using Lightspeed so I have box and single item types. Is there a way to assign item units in bulk for importing? Or will I need to import the entire list of items and then assign the item units one by one (I hope not!)? I have a lot of canned foods! 😅

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@PaleoPet There isn't a way to move items directly from Lightspeed to Square but you can download Square's item template, enter all the information you need (hopefully you can copy/paste a lot of the information) and then upload everything at the same time. It's definitely not perfect but it should save you some time.

Message 4 of 4