x

Note Field Character Limitations - Square API

I currently process my payments through the phone using the Square App and love the notes section.

It allows me to take great notes that can later be copied and pasted into QuickBooks to have great notes there as well for that transaction.  There is no character limitation on the notes and we use this feature. It takes a long time to type all of the notes into the phone however.  

I recently discovered that square has a web version on their site and an API.  Imagine my excitement.  I logged into the website so I can type the notes much faster on the PC than the phone.  Guess what? 50 character limit on the notes.  Why? What? What developer would put a 50 character limitation on those notes??!! It's not a database limitation because the Android developers get it. I have enough characters there to type all my notes.  Have the front end developers never had to keep track of the details of a transaction?

I call Square to ask about if we can use the API to list notes.  This was multiple completely useless calls where I was told we don't support the API and there is nobody that does. So I start paying a company to learn and program in the square api. (this was before I discovered the web portal)

Now, we have programmed everything, spent a lot of money and we have everything working. We are at the point where we discovered that we can send notes but there is a 60 character limitation... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 

How do I get this limitation removed?  I NEED 150 - 255 characters minimally. These notes are everything to us. They help out tremendously and now I have the ability to automate the notes entry and I cannot because for some reason I cannot fathom, some programmer thinks we don't need to use the notes field! 

Wayne

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @scrfix

This is great feedback, so thank you for raising this to us. 

I don't have a solid answer for you around why the character limit varies, but I'll check in on this with our Product teams and see what I can dig up. 

Hang tight and I'll try and get more information for you.

Message 2 of 3

Any answer for this square limitation? 

Message 3 of 3