x

On Square Invoices, is there a way to automatically set up tipping?

On invoices, is there a way to automatically set up tipping?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 36
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @LaunchFishers, thanks for bringing this up. At this time, there isn't a way to automatically set up tipping on invoices.

For now, you'll need to select the box as @telsaan suggested each time you create a new invoice. I can definitely see how automating this step would help with efficiency and prevent the chance of missing out on tips in the future; rest assured that I'll be sharing this with our Invoices Team.

Hope this helps clear things up for now, and please let us know if you have any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Beta Member

This is a fine workaround but Square benefits from it by take larger percentages of our sales.  

Message 22 of 36
Beta Member

It does not give the same tipping options as what is set up for the register and that is exactly the issue. We are losing money and Square just doesn’t care. Oh excuse me, Aquare does care but Swuare only cares that they are making money, Come on Square, get your heads out of your butts and give us (your customers) what we need! If your programmers can’t handle this simple request then it’s time that you find better programmers.

Message 23 of 36
Alumni

Hey @What - This is currently still a feature request. While feedback from our Sellers is always top of mind for us, it is not the only factor considered when our product teams decide to implement a feature. You can learn more at Feature Requests & the Seller Community.

I'd also like to take a moment to bring up our Community Etiquette Guidelines. While we understand it can be frustrating to not have all the tools you need to run your business, we ask that you remain respectful when contributing to the Community in order to foster collaborative discussions.

With that said, we understand that we are unable to cater to every need of every business owner at the moment they need it. Because of this, we always encourage our Sellers to do what's in the best interest of their business even if that means moving away from Square products and seeking the tools you need from other sources. Whatever you decide, we wish you continued growth and success!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 24 of 36
Beta Member

Please add a way to automatically add a tip. Most customers (99%) do not tip when sent an invoice. It is frustrating for our staff as we can have a large brunch with 60 people where staff works hard to please and because they prepaid the invoice, staff is left with no tip.

Message 25 of 36
Admin

@dashanna1971

If you'd like to set up "automatic tip," we'd suggest adding a line item for Gratuity, and write it into your contract that you require gratuity for the event.  This is the way most Sellers deal with this kind of service, as the nature of tipping is in choosing to pay a tip.  

Sellers will typically add a line item for gratuity that is paid out to the staff, and still allow tipping on the invoice in the case they they may want to tip higher than the (typically 10-20%) that is charged.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 26 of 36

This "feature" should have been implemented a very long time ago.  It is a wildy popular request by all Square users.

It's a shame that Square continues to disregard this request and responds with "work arounds".

Terrible!

Message 27 of 36

So here it is over 3 years since this thread was started and still no resolve to invoice tipping. In the middle of this COVID-19 crisis and tips are super important to my staff. More companies wanting delivery set up for their employee's lunches so they stay in office and to be invoiced for this service, this tip situation is a nightmare!

Message 28 of 36
Square Community Moderator

We hear you, @stokendonuts4u. Regrettably, we are still actively working towards bringing this feature to Point of Sale. We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

We will be sure to continue to update this thread as we have more to share. Thanks for your patience, as always.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 36
Super Seller

Is there any update on this feature request? We were just looking for this feature as well.

Message 30 of 36
Admin

@LLCafe I just went to check this for you and I was able to adjust the settings for all Invoices to require a tip from the online Square Dashboard: go to Invoices > Settings > scroll down and select 'Allow customer to add a tip'. The next time you create the option for your customer to add a tip will be enabled. 

To request a tip to an invoice from the Point of Sale or Invoices app:

1. Create an invoice and select your customer.
  2. Add a custom amount or select from your item library.
  3. Once you have added line items, ensure Request a Tip is toggled on before sending the invoice to the recipient.
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 31 of 36
Super Seller

@Helen Thanks for responding so quickly. Sorry I should have clarified, I was referring to being able to default a tip amount in that field. So we could be able to default it to say 15% but the customer can still change it if needed.

Message 32 of 36

Thanks for keeping this topic alive because I don't think the folks at Square understand that when submitting invoices to a company the tendency of the bean counters at said company don't pay attention to a "request for tips" and just pay the invoice amount owed, which screws my hard-working team members out of a lot of well-earned tip money. 

Message 33 of 36
Admin

Thank you @LLCafe, I see what you mean now. I definitely agree that would be useful. At the moment it's not possible to specify the default tip amount on an Invoice. We'll post here to share any updates on that front! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 34 of 36

after 6 years there is still no way to create an invoice template that includes tips. and on mobile, I sent an invoice earlier today and lost $20+ from not even being able to ADD the option on mobile.

Sadly this really shows that small businesses are NOT someone that Square cares about. 

Message 35 of 36

Wow! I just read this thread and I have to agree...there should be a way to add tips to an invoice without creating an accounting (QBO) nightmare. We are a DIY Craft studio and host corporate events. We would like to add an 18% gratuity to the invoice but there doesn't seem to be an option for that. We can create it as an item but then it is registered as a sale when it isn't.  It needs to go to the tip line item. Seems like something simple that Square can add but they haven't figured out a way for it to be done from what I am reading.

Message 36 of 36