x

One time discount on recurring invoice? Can I apply a discount to only the first invoice?

I'm trying to create a recurring invoice for a client, but have given him a discount on the first month of service.  When I apply the discount to that recurring invoice, does the discount carry over to all the following invoices?  And if so, can I edit it after the first invoice is paid so that the following recurring invoices are the normal price? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @hgromax, good question!

You can edit a recurring series, so this would allow you to create the Invoice series with a discount and then remove it after the first month. This is not automated of course, so you would need to remember to take the discount off. 

Alternatively, you could send a standalone invoice for the first month, and schedule the rest of the series to start the following month. Your customer would receive email notifications for both. Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Best Answer

Hi @hgromax, good question!

You can edit a recurring series, so this would allow you to create the Invoice series with a discount and then remove it after the first month. This is not automated of course, so you would need to remember to take the discount off. 

Alternatively, you could send a standalone invoice for the first month, and schedule the rest of the series to start the following month. Your customer would receive email notifications for both. Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 2 of 4

Is there a way to give one time discounts on reoccurring invoices? I am a gym owner where I pay my clients for refferals. They would prefer to have the money come off their membership rather than the cash payment. Am i able to do that without effecting all future invoices? Thank you

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gotitallhere

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on a similar request. 

Unfortunately there's no way to apply a discount to a recurring invoice that removes itself automatically, but the workarounds mentioned in this thread might work for you. 

Hopefully we can improve this in the future, as our Discounts team is actively working on conditional and criteria based discounts. 

Message 4 of 4