x

Online Store: Why does my site show as 'not secure'?

I recently switched over to the new online store powered by Weebly. It was working fine, until I upgraded and added a custom domain (my website is hosted by Wix). The link works, but it is NOT SECURE and it has caused all of my products to state, "not accepting payments at this time." I tried switching back to the domain that Square automatically assigned to our Weebly store, but I cannot find an option that lets me do that. It says SSL is automatic, to give it some time and it will override, but it's been about 10 hours since I switched domains, and it is  still not working

Message 1 of 181
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tolgardgames-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Really sorry to hear about this issue you've been experiencing.

Any change to the DNS settings can take 24-48 hours to update on the backend. You will also need to make sure the domain is properly pointed to our IP address, that there are no AAAA records, and that the SSL is enabled.

If you're using the Square Online Store, you can unpublish (from Website> General Settings) and then publish again from within the editor.

Let me know which of these suggestions/steps you've tried already. I look forward to hearing from you. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 181
180 REPLIES 180

I recently switched over to the new online store powered by Weebly. It was working fine, until I upgraded and added a custom domain. The link works, but it is NOT SECURE and it has is driving customers away and preventing sales. What is the solution? 

Message 43 of 181
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Ngodup - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. So sorry for the trouble with your Online Store! I think we can help here.

I've merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also experiencing this same issue. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle for troubleshooting and clarity - it should get you where you need to be.

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 181

My domain name was purchased through a different registrar,  I have added the IP address as instructed in the help articles. The domain name resolves to my online store now.

When I visit my site, there is a certificate installed which is issued to editmysite.com (Weebly shared SSL I am guessing) but it appears as "invalid" so I am still getting the security warning. And, occasionally (which is confusing), I see the "This site is not ready to accept payments" warning.

I have been working on this for about 4 days.

If I understand this answer correctly I have to enable SSL through the DNS settings via my registrar in order for the site to be secure. To have the ability to enable SSL through that registrar, I have to purchase one. If I have to purchase one, Weebly's shared SSL is basically useless for those who have domains registered elsewhere. 

Message 45 of 181

It can be a bit frustrating. I got my domain with 1and1 and pointed it to the squarestore. And even though square says my SSL was working, my site kept saying not secure which made customers uncomfortable.

How i got it to work?

I went on my DNS on my 1and1 dashboard, reset the whole thing and re-entered the IP I got from square. O and make sure its IPV4 too.

Then went back to square dashboard, under general settings, unpublished my site for about 2 mins and republished it.

I hope that works and if not, call weebly customer service, they are quite helpful.

Good luck!

Message 46 of 181

@LaudShawarma Thank you. Yes. It is frustrating. Every site on which I've used SSL certificates (shared or purchased) has had trouble with setup for one reason or another.

I don't really want to redo my A records because it might take another 24-48 hours to go through the DNS system. If Weebly says all you need to do is publish your site and update the A records for your domain, that should be all that is needed.

I've worked in the IT industry and developed entire websites by writing HTML, PHP, and JavaScript using a text editor.  I've even created and worked with MySQL databases. SSL has always caused frustration and headaches for me. 

If it doesn't resolve within the next couple of days, I'm switching hosts. I don't have time to fight with technology that is supposed to be as user-friendly as Weebly.  

Message 47 of 181

Hey, I just published my new site and it saying un-secure, I'm not sure why as I followed all steps and prompts and was told the SSL would be applied automatically once it's published. Any suggestions?? My site is www.brisglamspace.com

Message 48 of 181

I've already tried to unpublished and publish the site, as well as my insta feed doesn't show up and it shows in preview.

Message 49 of 181

Hi there, @BrisGspace 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Welcome! Happy to have you join us.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also experiencing issues in regards to their site security and publishing. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle - she is able to provide some clarity around the issue that you're seeing.

Feel free to shoot us a response if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help.

Joe
Message 50 of 181

I've been trying to set up my Square online store for 2 months using the Square domain...I do not have my own website. Each time, when I input my square domain (bel-contatto.square.site), my browser says "Site Not Secure". I have published and unpublished several times, waiting 4 to 5 days each time. No matter what I do, the site comes up as not secure. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

Message 51 of 181

HI, I just checked your site and for me, I do receive the secure information.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 8.22.58 AM.png

Hope this helps!

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 52 of 181

I've tried to go to my store with 2 different Android devices and an iPad and get this each time...

Screenshot_20201112-152816_Chrome.jpg

Message 53 of 181

HI, what happens when you click Back To Safety or Advanced?  I believe that might be a Google thing.

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 54 of 181

Hello, I transferred my domain from Wix and for some reason, my website says it is not secure. I followed all of the correct steps. Is there any way to fix this?

Message 55 of 181

Hey @asianmart305 and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already and there's seller discussion.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 56 of 181
Beta Member

For some reason, since we set up the online store our customers haven't been able to check out. We only have a few items in the online store - pre-ordering for our Pizza Night - but customers still can't check out. It says in the system that I can now accept orders and payments, but not on the external site. Help. I'm losing business without this option.

VHBC2021_0-1616336824877.png

Message 57 of 181

HI, I remember a recent Community discussion regarding this error.  You would need to contact Square Support.

Contact Customer Support

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=FAB456B04971&skip_unit_select=true

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.24.19 AM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 58 of 181

I tried to unpublish and republish as suggested, but I'm still getting NOT SECURE. I started this process late last week or early this week and got the email saying my domain had transferred. I'm just worried that being NOT SECURE will inhibit any potential sales as I get my store set up. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks!

Message 59 of 181

Hi there, @Meloria - thanks for writing in here to the Seller Community! Happy to have you!

If you've tried the above troubleshooting and are still receiving the message that your Online Store is unsecured, we would recommend flagging this over to our Support Team directly for further troubleshooting. They can take a more 'hands-on' and in depth look at your site.

We will keep an eye out for your contact! 

Joe
Message 60 of 181

My customers are receiving the alert "Connection is not private" when they click on my website. I have not connected a custom domain or touched any of the DNS settings. It says SSL is enabled as well. I also tried unpublishing my site and republishing it. I'm still getting the message. 

Message 61 of 181

My site is doing the same thing and I switched over my DNS records last week. Any suggestions here?

Message 62 of 181
Beta Member

Anyone else getting this notice?  I haven’t been able to access my website since last week, nor have my customers.

it was indicating that it showed that it may have been stolen

Message 63 of 181