x

Online vs. Offline Sales

This has probably been asked before but I can't figure out what search terms might bring older posts up, so here goes.

I have an Etsy shop and I am starting to do art shows in person. I just got my Square reader all set up, my listings are synced, and I created a mobile location in addition to the "regular" one.

But what I can't figure out is whether or not I will have problems next weekend, my first show, with buyers getting charged shipping if they buy from me on-site. I've looked through Help on both Etsy and here and have no idea if I've set it up right or how to test. My nightmare is getting set up at this show and then everything going sideways with the reader and only being able to take cash.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @cipherart

That's great to hear that you've setup your Square account and linked it to your Etsy shop!

If you have a Square Reader you can do some test transactions before your event. I recommend checking out our Support Center Article Swipe Card Payments with the Square Reader. This will walk you through the steps of how to process a payment. 

If your concerned about the internet availability at your event you could always test payments prior if it's not to far away. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to me. 🙂

Message 2 of 4

Thanks so much for the link but I don't see anything about a test set up in it. I'm not really looking for a video so much as a step by step on how to do tests. Also, I still don't have a sense for whether the sync'd listings will port over shipping charges. If you recommend any other articles about that, please feel free to share! I really appreciate your response, Chad.

Message 3 of 4

So currently we don't offer a test mode in Square Point of Sale. To practice payments you would have to use a real credit card and refund the payments afterwards.

If you have to charge shipping for in person sales, I recommend creating a shipping item in Square Point of Sale. This way you can track your shipping for each sale. 🙂

Message 4 of 4