x

POS for food truck

I want a basic POS for our food truck. Ipad, cash drawer, kitchen printer for tickets for making food and a card reader I can mount on the outside of the truck so customers can scan their own card. What items do I need?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hi there! Good luck with your new food truck! We see so many innovation around trailers and food.

Just my 2 cents for the setup. What you need is a Square POS (or register) that has a chip card reader.

Then if you don't want to have a bulky printer, consider using Bump KDS - https://square.bumpkds.com for streamlining the orders in your truck.

Good luck with your business!

Orda Success Team
https://www.getorda.com
Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

@newlinecheckout thank you so much for sharing!! I love the insight you offer in the Seller Community. 

@Pubdude9866 I agree with newlinecheckout in that you will likely enjoy using an iPad with the Contactless and Chip Reader or the Square Register (which has everything attached). It all depends on your budget and where you want to go from there. You can always check out all of our kits and hardware on the Square Shop page, but please let us know if you have any other questions. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 5

So does Square offer a card reader with a keyboard that can be mounted on the outside of the truck so customers scan their own card? Would that work wirelessly or would I have to run a cord outside the truck?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi! Great question. The two pieces of hardware that come to mind for this would be either our Square Register or our Contactless and Chip Reader. The Square Register will allow you to put the customer facing display outside fo the truck for customers to scan their own card, but it will be connected via a cord to the Register itself, which is what you will use to input the order.

The Contactless and Chip Reader is completely wireless and runs off of bluetooth to either an iPad, iPhone, or Android device. This seems to be the most popular option for food truck vendors. You can mount the reader outside of the truck (I see a lot of food truck owners rest it on a small ledge outside of the order window) and customers can pay when you tell them. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5