x
Beta Member

Payments via personal check

we had a customer come in our store the other day. she spent $374, wrote a personal check for payment. soon after the transaction, she wanted to return most of the items, for cash. we refused to do so. she left with the items. the check bounced. question.....is there a way to block refunds on transactions paid with a check, and then unblock it after the check has cleared the bank?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

@Sbyrd5525 I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. It sounds very frustrating. Unfortunately with cash or check payments since we are not actually moving money for you, like with a credit card payment, there is not a way for us to block a refund or even check if the check is valid. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Is it acceptable for a customer to pay with a personal check, and write the amount for $20 over the amount due? This is a form of getting "cash back." If so, how do I input this as a transaction since it only lets you record the check number? 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Coalsons20

Welcome to our Seller Community, we're thrilled to have you as a part of the conversation. 

Unfortunately, "cash back" transactions are not currently possible with our POS system. 

In this case specifically, there's no way to record the $20 as "change". 

Please let us know if you have any questions, thank you!

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4