x

Payroll: How do I pay employees who don't have bank accounts?

Some of our employees dont have bank accounts for some reason.  What would be our options to pay them?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Thanks for posting @allisonvh13 ! A couple options:

- With Square Payroll can issue manual checks to these employees which they can take to any check cashing center. 

- Or, if your employees have CashApp, they can link their account to receive direct deposits. Plus, since it’s built by Square, they receive their pay a day faster!  To set this up from your Payroll Dashboard select Direct Deposit as the payment method for the employee. From there, when the employee goes to link their bank account, there will be an option to opt for Cash App. 

I hope this helps!

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Best Answer

Thanks for posting @allisonvh13 ! A couple options:

- With Square Payroll can issue manual checks to these employees which they can take to any check cashing center. 

- Or, if your employees have CashApp, they can link their account to receive direct deposits. Plus, since it’s built by Square, they receive their pay a day faster!  To set this up from your Payroll Dashboard select Direct Deposit as the payment method for the employee. From there, when the employee goes to link their bank account, there will be an option to opt for Cash App. 

I hope this helps!

Justin
Message 2 of 10

What causes the CashApp option not to show?

Message 3 of 10
Admin

@trueyouthassoc Are both their accounts and your Payroll account fully set up?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

When I tried this for my employees. It didn't work for cashapp. They gave me their cashapp routing/acct number and i entered into payroll and selected direct deposit. Payday came around and Square payroll said their bank declined the payment. So i had to instead send a cashapp from my personal cashapp account! Now i have to manually input paid by check into square and note cashapp payroll. I then have to pay myself back the next time payroll happens at the end of the month. 

This can't be how it's supposed to work... and square is not sending out the invite emails for them to setup their accounts which is why i had to do it!

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

Hmm, perhaps a hand from our Payroll Team will help. They can provide advice on how to handle these type of situations in the future. 

@surepointinfo

Justin
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

Thank you, ill reach out to them via email.

Message 7 of 10

Message 8 of 10

A few of my contractors do not have bank accounts and want to receive their payment via CashApp. However when they login to setup their accounts it only asks for banking information and will not allow to bypass. I read in another forum of the option to select CashApp however that option doesn’t exist. What could be causing this?

Message 9 of 10

HI, I believe you need to setup Team Management and Permissions, then you can proceed with Employee and Contractor signup.  

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5591-get-started-with-employee-management

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5822-employee-permissions

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5336-square-payroll-employee-and-contractor-sign-up

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 10 of 10