x

Please explain "Refunds by Amount" on the Sales Summary Report

I can't find an explanation of what "Refunds by Amount" means

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Sherwood

The "Refunds by Amount" would indicate the partial refunds that you issue that don't include a selected item for the refund itself. 

For example, if you sell Item A ($10) and Item B($10) together, and issue a refund by selecting Item B as the item being refunded, that would be an item level or itemized refund for $10. 

On the flip side, if you sell Item A ($10) and Item B ($10) together, and issue a partial refund by manually entering $10 for the amount refunded rather than selecting an item, this refund amount would appear in your "Refund by amount" section. 

Does that make sense? It can be a bit confusing, so let me know if you have more questions. 

Message 2 of 16

How then are we supposed to refund a customer five dollars when I accidentally typed $15 for an item that should have been $10? there’s no way i can find to do that without using “Refunds by amount”…but “refunds by amount” don’t deduct that $5 from the net sales like refunds do, which means at the end of the day square is showing our net sales as $5 higher than our POS system is showing.

Message 3 of 16

In the reports section, there are two rows, one for returns and one for refunds by amount. sometimes the return value goes to returns and sometimes it goes to refund by amount. what is happening?

Message 4 of 16
Alumni

@ecarr Looks like I found your answer on this thread I moved you to 🙂

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 16

@JustinC can you please also point me to the solution for this? I'm having the same problem.  We are cancelling orders  on the weebly online site  but the # of items sold in Sales reports still includes those that were cancelled, as if they were sold, implying just a refund of $$ without an item attached.  When a full order is cancelled, one would assume the items would be put back into inventory and not show on a sales report. 

Message 6 of 16
Alumni

Hey there @CoastBeer

Canceled orders will reflect as a custom amount refund, and will not update your inventory levels . From an Item Sales Reporting standpoint, the quantity sold will auto adjust to account for the returned items included in the order. 

If your reports appear otherwise, reach out to our CS Team so they can surface any discrepancies to our Engineering Team and fix your report. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 7 of 16

Is there a way to do refunds by amount so they are accounted in the net sales like other refunds? We often do refunds by amount to adjust the price of an item when a customer was mischarged due to a typo or forgotten discount. It really messes up accounting that these are not included in our net sales and show on a random line Below the bottom line. It inflates our net sales and makes it difficult to reconcile square with our POS system at the end of the night/week/month/year. Please advise

Message 8 of 16

Hey @Ruthm

If a transaction is refunded but later processed for the correct amount your books should balance your net sales. A refund will never show under your net sales in Square, this is a feature request that’s not available at this time. 

Thank you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 9 of 16

Hey, actually refunds do show in the net sales. “Refunds by amount” do not. 

If I refund a whole transaction, it shows up on the report under “refunds” which is indeed accounted for in net sales calculations.

however, If I refund only part of the transaction, (like if a cashier miscopied a price and charged someone $5 over what our POS says an item cost, and then we refunded the customer just that $5) then the refund shows up on a different line item down below net sales that reads “refunds by amount”.  

Having some refunds included in net sales, and some refunds not included in net sales is a nightmare when reconciling square to our POS, it inflates our sales numbers innacurately.

Message 10 of 16

did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the same problem with reconciling from the sales summary.

Message 11 of 16

Hello @jen15, Thank you for reaching out. Please see the previous posts from EJ, as well as JustinC and sayra. Since we cannot discuss account-specific information through the Seller Community Forum please reach out to Direct Support about your sales summary report, 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. They can certainly help and investigate this further. Thank you for working with us to get this figured out! 

Message 12 of 16

Nope! Nobody at square seems to understand what i’m talking about and why it is an issue 🤷🏼‍♀️

Message 13 of 16

I completely understand and wish they would fix it.

Message 14 of 16
Beta Member

I am still confused by what the difference between "Returns" and "Refunds by amount" is. I need to report this for taxes. I just need the total amount of refunds processed. What number would that be? Or would that be the total of the Returns and Refunds by Amount rows? Please help.

Message 15 of 16

Thanks for posting, @DonDT 

Per EJ's response above;

"The Refunds by Amount would indicate the partial refunds that you issue that don't include a selected item for the refund itself. 

For example, if you sell Item A ($10) and Item B($10) together, and issue a refund by selecting Item B as the item being refunded, that would be an item level or itemized refund for $10. 

On the flip side, if you sell Item A ($10) and Item B ($10) together, and issue a partial refund by manually entering $10 for the amount refunded rather than selecting an item, this refund amount would appear in your "Refund by amount" section."

Returns would indicate that the customer returned an item for an exchange or credit, instead of receiving the funds back. 

We have limited access to account through this public forum, but our support team can assist with any account-specific questions you have regarding the reporting page. Please feel free to reach out to our team here when you have a moment. 

Message 16 of 16