x
Beta Member

Preorder Merch Option on Square Online Store/Weebly

Hello. We are featuring products this month with the intention of donating a percentage of their sales to charity. Unfortunately the items haven't arrived yet but we have to launch the initiative due to scheduling constraints. In that light, we'd love to offer a "Pre-Order" where a customer can place their order, but their card isn't cully charged until the items come into stock/are made available to the customer for pick up. Is there any option for this that I'm not seeing?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Hi. We're an official Square Partner Company that specializes in creating affordable, custom mobile apps - powered by Square. We actually already have this feature. We named it Keep Fresh because a lot of clients wanted to make the order only when GPS detected that the Customer was actually close to the Restaurant. 

But then we also built in a "Make My Order" button, which we put on both the Customer's side of the App and the Owner's side of the App. So you can basically use that to essentially push the order live, which then charges them at that point. 

We basically dissected Square Payments API to figure out how to do it!

Let me know if you want to test it out! 

- Ken

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

How does your App help Retail E-commerce?  And why should we pay for a basic feature?  Read before you respond.  You are not offering a solution to the question.  Cut and paste much?

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

Hi. Actually, we don't cut and paste at all. I'm the Owner and a few of my team monitor these message boards and help out with answers and I would fire them if I caught them copying and pasting. 

So let me clear up exactly how what we responded with was in fact a solution to this issue. Also, the word "Solutions" is ironically in our official, incorporated name, so that's what we do - ie. create solutions for Square, as an official Square Partner.

1. Our Apps help Retail E-Commerce the same way all the other Mobile Apps being utilized by Retail E-Commerce help those businesses. Ocassionally we "sell" ourselves and our value, but these days it's pretty obvious based on how all the famous brands are leveraging apps.

2. People pay for basic features all the time. It's all about what's important to you, your pain points and what you value - as well as how much said basic feature is. Our tech helps businesses in all sorts of other ways, so it's really about the tipping point. ie. At what point does a business try a solution that offers them everything they're already getting, but also a lot more?

3. Finally, here's the solution:

"we'd love to offer a "Pre-Order" where a customer can place their order,"

- our Apps, which are actually called "Pre-Order" Apps already do this. 

"but their card isn't cully charged until the items come into stock/are made available to the customer for pick up."

- the explanation of our "Keep Fresh" feature was to simply explain that we already have this capability and why, so as to add more context to the real-world, use-case scenario.

Elaborating more specifically... Square doesn't really allow Orders to hit your system that don't have a payment, but understanding the way Square structures what they consider a "complete" order helps utilize what Square does offer to achieve this.

I believe (but am not sure) that there may be ways of using "Open Tickets" for example to achieve this. And, yes, our "solution" isn't exactly a "How do I do this just in Square without getting anything new?" solution - never the less, it is a solution. And, this is specifically how our solution works (as was indicated by our original reply):

1. Let the Customer order

2. Store the Order and the Card Number

3. At a certain point in time or action (like getting stock in) we process the card

4. Upon successful payment, Square's system sees the Order as "fulfilled" then treats it as if the order was just made right then and there.

5. And since, we already have tons of pickup features in the App with tons of Checkout Options, we can easily create a payment option specifically for this type of "transaction" that automatically sets a pickup window (based on the business' availability) that gets auto-sent to the Customer in an E-Mail confirmation, the most Step 4 happens (which is how our system is already built). Or, those Confirmation Emails can be easily changed to prompt the Customer to schedule a pickup another kind of way if that's preferred by a business.

Square provides a lot of incredible services and products, but they are very well aware that they can't do and specialize in everything - that's why they have an awesome Partners Program that enlists all kinds of cool companies to create other features for businesses. Some features may seem "basic", but if it doesn't fall into Square "core" value and feature-offering, then they may simply be delegating it over to their Partners to help with.

Hope this clears up our original reply and proves it wasn't cut and paste!

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 4 of 4