x
Beta Member

Prevent online orders being placed during non-business hours

I would like to prevent online orders from being placed during non-business hours. We have our online store set-up for pick-up and curbside pick-up of food. I have our business hours entered. Someone can go to our online store during non-business hours and place an order, but won't receive a pick-up time until we reopen. However, I would like to prevent people from even placing an order during non-business hours. I can do that by manually toggling the "Accept online orders" button under Checkout on and off, but I would prefer not to do that twice a day, since it is easy to forget to do and people could be prevented from placing orders if we forget to toggle it back on.

Message 1 of 47
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

@Amanda_Bierock 

Good point!

Maybe that's 2 feature requests as potential solutions this problem:

1. Having the option to only allow orders during Open times

2. When making an order past Open times, have something big & red & un-missable telling the customer that the shop is closed & when the pickup time is

Great perspective! Thank you!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 47

Best Answer

Well, I'm very sorry to report that my "solution" actually does not work the way I thought it did. After further testing, I discovered that "only certain days and times" only works DURING your actual open hours (like if you have a brunch menu, and a lunch menu, and a dinner menu that each have time limitations during your total open hours). It does not work how I need, to turn of/on my menu outside of my open hours. Sorry to anyone who got as excited as I did about this "solution", but hopefully this still works for some of you. I'm back to waiting for this feature request to be provided...*sigh*

I think I have found a SOLUTION for all of us.

I too have wanted the store to obey my business hours.

THE SOLUTION IS:

Go to your online store dashboard menu

> Items

> Categories

> select category (do the following for each category you need to limit the times customers can buy from your store)

> Availability

> select "Only certain days and times"

> select days and enter times you only want to sell items in  this category. In my case, after selecting this option, it showed defaults to my actual pickup hours and I just changed the start times to 12:00am so customers can order early in the morning before we open if they want, but after I have had time to upload my new inventory amounts

VIOLA!! The store will show items but mark them "Available Later" until the day/time you have entered as available for sale.

Hope this works for you all as it did for me!

View Best Answer >

Message 41 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Amanda_Bierock , - Any particular reason why you don't want them to order at all during closed hours?

Before they finish checking out, they will pick a timeslot for pickup for times that you are open, and your tickets will print before the designated pickup time, according to your prep time.

I find it very useful that customers can place orders when we're closed, since it's still orders coming in and we're closed for just as much time as we're open - more time to order means more orders!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 2 of 47
Beta Member

I don't want someone to order food at 9 pm, after we've closed, thinking they can come in and pick up their food that night because they didn't pay attention to the assigned pick up day and time at check out.

Message 3 of 47
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

@Amanda_Bierock 

Good point!

Maybe that's 2 feature requests as potential solutions this problem:

1. Having the option to only allow orders during Open times

2. When making an order past Open times, have something big & red & un-missable telling the customer that the shop is closed & when the pickup time is

Great perspective! Thank you!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 47
Beta Member

Ok, I'll put that in as a feature request

Message 5 of 47
Super Seller Alumni

Tagging @kellyj - the magnificent Square Beta Community Manager!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 6 of 47
Admin

@Amanda_Bierock

Thanks for your input on this. I responded in your Feature Request thread. I'll keep you updated if we make a change to this in the future.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 7 of 47

@Kelly Is there a way our business can also be notified if this feature request goes through? The fact that we can't limit online ordering to a certain times creates a mess for our restaurants. 

Message 8 of 47

Yes, this is also very important to our restaurant.  We close on weekends and just about every weekend we get orders pop up.  If I catch them in time, I call the customers and notify them so they do not make a trip to our restaurant.  And, over Memorial Day, we closed and I even put a big sign on my website homepage, but customers still placed orders.  

Message 9 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out and let us know how this specifically impacted your weekend, @jon555 - this is frustrating indeed. I'm getting eyes from our Product Teams here for visibility. We will hit everyone back here as soon as we have some more info to share. Thanks, again! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 47

We just had this happen today! We are closed but it still allowed a customer to place an order for delivery TODAY. We want them to be able to order ahead for Monday so we don't want to turn off our ordering, but now we have upset customers who are expecting a delivery.  Ugh...  Please help.

Message 11 of 47

I am not a software programmer, but this seemed to be a quick fix.  Perhaps, if enough of us put pressure on square, they would put more priority on this feature.

Message 12 of 47

This exact scenario plays out every weekend for me as well. I operate an restaurant that’s closed during the weekend (Due to Covid). Customers do not pay attention to 3 separate warnings to read their Fulfillment times. Then I have to go back and refund orders during times we are closed!    Worst is sometimes there are customers who are planning ahead and are reading careful but just placing their orders in advance...these people often have to place orders twice. It’s terrible from a customer service perspective.

If the fulfillment time wasn’t AUTOMATICALLY filled in for the customer...this issue would never arise. Alas here we are. 

Message 13 of 47

This! Customers are notorious for not reading all the information. We 4 have restaurants and  would also really appreciate having the option to limit placing orders during non-business hours. More specifically it would need to be limited to a certain time before opening and before closing, which would technically be different than business hours. Please add this feature Square!

Message 14 of 47
Admin

@TCSeattle

Thanks so much for your input on this. You can fully shut off your Online Store from taking orders, although you do need to do this from the eCom Dashboard.

eCom > Settings > Checkout

This will allow you to turn off all online orders outside of your work hours and you can toggle this back on when you are ready to accept orders the next day.

This does require a few different steps though, which I know can be time consuming, and we have a few feature requests to simplify the on-off function of your online store. eCom does default into allowing your orders to go to the next available day, as most businesses have wanted this feature, but to turn it off - as in your case - you would just go to the above.

When we have a simpler way to navigate to accepting orders page, I'll update the thread, hopefully we'll see some updates around this soon! 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 15 of 47

Yes, please let us know when this feature will be added, so we can set to automatically stop accepting orders (default to shop open hours, or customizable as previous replies have requested)

Thanks!

fonuts

Message 16 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @fonuts - we appreciate you reaching out and joining us her eon the Seller Community.

While we don't have a specific timeline to share on this feature just yet, we will update everyone here when we have more solidified information to share. We appreciate everyone's patience! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 47

PLEASE keep us updated also cause this is a crucial feature that we NEED.

We are using appointments to book basketball/volleyball courts and we have issues where people will book a court at 11pm at night for 8am the next morning and we may not have a reservation until 11am so the staff may not catch it and be here to open the facility. 

I would love to limit the online booking hours to a customized time frame to make sure we are able to catch these. 

Luckily I get the text messages of the appointments but that means I get woken up at all hours to make sure it is caught and the staff is notified. 

Message 18 of 47

This feature is critical and prevents very angry customers who ordered outside of business hours expecting to be able to pick up the order.

Do you have any ETA on this?  This seems like it would be VERY simple to add.  I would just default to the way it is NOW (so people dont suddenly get a change in behavior) and then allow them to turn it ON to limit ordering to business hours only.

Message 19 of 47

Another point here.  Toast supports this.

If Toast supports this and many of their customers USE this maybe you need to push this up in rank?

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

Message 20 of 47

Yes.  Please, Please add a simple toggle option to disable checkout of orders outside of the specified business hours!  We use our online store ONLY for curbside pickup and come in every morning to a pile of orders we can't fulfill, and customers who are upset we can't.  Thank you!

Message 21 of 47