x

Print receipt to sign for tap to pay?

I recently discovered that some people can pay by tapping thier credit card on the chip reader, however this means they have to sign on the ipad, which the way our desk is set up is a real pain to have clients walk around and sign on the screen, with typical credit/debit card payments we have a receipt print for them to sign, I want this for tap to pay as well, is there a way to do this? if not am I able to disable tap to pay so they have to use the chip instead? Id rather not have to disable but I will if need be

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JMHair

They should be able to insert their credit cards into the reader as well instead of tap. There's not really a way to skip the signature screen for any transaction over $25.

If it's under $25, you can disable customer signatures by navigating to Settings > Signature & Receipt and then select > Collect Signature Over $25.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

Some credit cards wont be accepted unless they tap, Im not opposed to the tap to pay method, but what I want is instead of them signing on the ipad, I want a recept to print out from the machine like it does for every other credit card

Message 3 of 12

@JMHair In your Printer Settings on the app, do you have Print Receipts for All Transactions turned on?

I can't think of why it wouldn't be printing for just tap transactions because it should print for all transactions if so. 

Ashley C
Message 4 of 12

In my app I have Always collect signatures on and Customer signs on printed receipt turned on, 99% of the time it prints for them to sign but for some odd reason this tap to pay wants a signature on the ipad

Message 5 of 12

@JMHair Hmm yeah this definitely sounds like it could be a glitch.

Can you un-install the app and re-install it? Just make sure you have no offline mode payments pending first. It won't affect any of your other preferences or stored settings. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 12

It looks like theres no other way, I called square and according to them its just the way those particular transaction works, I appreciate the help though

Message 7 of 12
Admin

@JMHair

Good to know, but I'm going to have a few teams look a bit further into this, as most of us were unaware it is triggering the signature on the iPad.

I'd like to make sure this is intentional and not just the way it is happening.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 8 of 12

Yeah, we would like to have customers sign on receipts when its tapped as well instead of flipping the pos around.  It forces the customer to choose a Tip Amount as the cashier stands there waiting for them to see what their tip amount is going to be.  Its extremely uncomfortable for the customer- and it actually called GUILT TIPPING.  The customer feels obligated to leave a healthy tip on the screen while the cashier eyeballs them.  Have had people avoid my place because they don't like to get GUILT TIPPED.  

Message 9 of 12

If you find a way to have the customers be able to sign on a receipt instead of having to flip the pos around, please let us know. 

Message 10 of 12

Square Register Restaurant Tap to Pay Receipts

We have a square register used for restaurant.

When server inserts customer card on the customer display, a receipt is printed.

When server taps customer card on the customer display, no receipt is printed.

How do we ensure that tapped customer cards have receipts printed?

Message 11 of 12
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up @CO888. I moved your question here. Unfortunately this is expected behavior for tap payments. But we'll continue to keep track of this request in hopes that we can implement some changes in the future for tap payment receipts. Appreciate you!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 12