x
Beta Member

Product Mix

Hi! I run a coffee shop in Indianapolis and use square. Does square have the capability of setting up different items with a product mix? For instance, setting up how much milk goes into a small latte and calculating the Cost of Goods Sold theoretical and actual? How does everyone go about doing this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Hi @Mochanutcoffee.  That’s a great question.  As I am famous (or more likely notorious!) for doing, I’m going to give you two answers (well, in your case there will be three answers, but two are closely related).  LOL.

First, no, there is no mechanism in Square for doing what you want to do, currently.  It is certainly something that has been requested but I do not have the ability to look “behind the curtain” as it were to see if there is a Square Team that is actually working on. Food & Beverage Cost of Goods and Pricing.

Second, this is where the Square App Marketplace comes in.  Square gives third-party app developers the ability to offer plug-ins that can be connected to our Square accounts to fill in the blanks, as it were.  One of the best know and respected apps on your subject is PeachWorks, which has full-function recipe and inventory management software that integrates with our Square Item and Sales libraries.  It’s a little pricy, but well worth the costs, believe me.  Recipe and Cost Management software is highly complicated and even if Square were to offer their version anytime soon, I would expect it to carry a pretty hefty price tag.  The good software in this area always does.  You can find other apps like PeachWorks by searching for “Restaurant” in the app marketplace.

Lastly, about 10 years ago I developed a rather complicated spreadsheet app that I have used in my food and beverage operations over the years.  It works beautifully, but it requires a decent comfort level with spreadsheets, and the ability to follow directions — like “don’t ever touch or change this cell or the world will end!” LOL. I’d be willing to share it, if you were interested.    However, my standard disclaimer applies — professionally built and guaranteed software like PeachWorks is worth its weight in gold!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Hey Chip! Thank you so much for this helpful information. I'll look into peachworks for sure. Really glad you responded, because it can feel so exhausting to look for different compatible options and ways to improve or refine processes sometimes. 

I'd love to check out your spreadsheet as well! I'm pretty good with spreadsheets, so I'll know what not to poke around on lol. Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 3