x
Alumni

Product Update: Take In-Person Payments for Invoices

Hi Community! I’m thrilled to share a new feature that lets you accept payments for invoices straight from the Point of Sale App. So if you’re ever with your clients in-person and they’d like to pay off an outstanding invoice with you, you can do so directly from Square Point of Sale.

Here’s How it Works

1. Select Invoices from the navigation menu (the three horizontal lines in the corner).
  2. Click on the invoice from your list. Or if you don’t have an outstanding invoice, create one from your device.
    • Check out our Support Center to learn how to create new  invoices.
  3. Tap Take Payment.
  4. Swipe, Dip or Tap your customers card or select a separate tender type (Card on File, Cash, Gift Card, Check or Other.)
  5. You’ll see a final screen that reads Invoice Paid after the payment completes.
  6. Your customer will automatically receive payment confirmation to the email entered for their Invoice.

Invoice-Take-Payment-Demo.gif

Pricing 

Pricing for Invoices Paid in Person

The processing fee for invoices paid in person is the same as our standard card-present rate: a flat 2.6% + 10¢ using your Square reader. If you manually enter card information for the invoice, the fee will be the standard card-not-present rate of 3.5% + 15 cents.

Pricing for Invoices Paid Online

There’s no change here - a 2.9% + .30 cent processing fee is applied at the time the invoice is paid online by your customer.

We’re excited to have you try this feature and help you manage your invoices from anywhere! Also check out some benefits to mobile invoicing on our Town Square blog. *You can also learn more about how Square processing fees work here: Understanding Our Fees | Square Payments. Or check out the video, below! 

Feel free to comment below with any questions, thanks!

*This post was edited by a moderator on August 20, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Square Community Moderator

This seems like a complicated question to handle here in the Seller Community.  I recommend reaching out to our Phone support team.

They can take a look at your account with you in real-time to help shine a light here, as they can look at your account alongside you to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 50
Beta Member

What if the payment is cash or credit?  Do we still get charged?

Message 23 of 50
Alumni

Hey @PintSize - thanks for making your first post to the community!

Square does charge fees on credit card processing (if your customer pays cash, we don't charge you). Take a look at @nlin's post for details on pricing for Invoices paid with credit cards in person or online. 

Definitely post again if you have any other questions. 😊

Message 24 of 50
Beta Member

Thanks Russell. I mistyped my original post. I meant cash or check for an invoice. I want to be clear, I'm referring to whether or not square charges invoice fees when an invoice is paid in person with cash or check. Could you clarify your answer?

Message 25 of 50
Alumni

Yes, I can definitely clear this up @PintSize - thanks for reaching back out. 

Message 26 of 50

Hey @Wedding_Guy

Just here to provide some clarification. If you choose to take an invoice payment in person on the App the fee will be 2.6% + 10¢ if you swipe a card. not 2.9% + $0.30. So there is no pricing change for using the in person method. You can read this at the bottom of @nlin's post. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video below! 

Taking an in person payment for an invoice has been one of the most requested features over the past 6 months. We love listening to our Sellers feedback and coming up with solutions. If you have any other questions regarding this feature I would be happy to answer them. 😀

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Message 27 of 50

If I create an invoice and a customer pays it in person with cash am I charged a fee at all?  Thanks

Message 28 of 50
Alumni

Hi SGA2017! Nope, there will be no fees if the invoice was paid with cash. Only card transactions will come with a small processing fee. But you may want to mark the invoice as paid for your record-keeping. 

To mark an invoice as paid: 

1.  Navigate to your online Square Dashboard.
2.  Select an invoice.
3.  Click More & Mark as Paid.
4.  Select the payment type. 
5.  Click Confirm.

Message 29 of 50

Hi, 

Can I create an invoice through my dashboard (at HQ) and then have the customer pick up and pay at one of our locations?

Thanks!

-H

Message 30 of 50

You sure can @thirdrailcoffee! The only limitation is that the customer would have to pickup with the corresponding location that the invoice was sent from. 

If they visited the wrong location your cashier won't have access to the corresponding invoice to mark it as paid! 😀

Message 31 of 50

I had a weird thing happen when I tried to take payment for invoice in person.  The screen quit and put me on new customer instead of payment type like it shows above.. 

Message 32 of 50

That sounds really weird @County201. Does it happen every time or just with a specific invoice? Have you tried force quitting the app when this happens? 

Message 33 of 50

Every time.. i will force quit it and try again.. I had to cancel invoice and charge misc..

Message 34 of 50

That definitely shouldn't be the case. If the force quit doesn't solve it I recommend making sure your operating system is up to date and then delete the Point of Sale app and then reinstall it. Let me know how it goes @County201

Message 35 of 50

@nlin

Is the feature you posted about still available? I feel like my apps recently updated and I can no longer take in-person payments as easily as I could before. Now it just seems as though I'm adding some sort of note to the invoice via the "Add Payment" button from my iPad. I'm also only able to charge a credit card from my phone app. Am I interpreting things incorrectly?

Message 36 of 50
Admin

Hey @mightymissdsgns, thanks for checking in here.

To be sure I'm on the same page—are you looking to accept a card payment, bypassing the invoice option? If so, you should be able to do so by tapping the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner of your screen > Checkout

The ability to accept an invoice payment via the Point of Sale app still available. After you select Add Payment, are you able to scroll down and see the Charge [amount] button? Once you tap Charge [amount], you should be redirected to the payment screen where you can complete the transaction as cash or card.

Does this help get you where you need to be? If I'm missing the mark, please let me know which step isn't working as expected and I'll be happy to have a closer look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 37 of 50

@Tom

Hi Tom! Thanks for the response.

I'm wanting to take in-pesron payments for invoices, using the Square POS app. When I select an invoice and tap "Add Payment" my only options are to record a payment or charge via credit card. I use to be able to charge via cash or check and would be taken to the payment screen like you mentioned. That workflow is no longer available, unless I'm missing something. Can you help?

Thanks again,

-- Amye

Message 38 of 50

You click on “Record Payment”

Then click on “Method”

Then choose Cash, Check, or Other

Message 39 of 50

@BothwellFarms

That is just recording a payment, basically adding a note to the invoice. It doesn't help me with change if they give me cash, print a receipt or anything like the normal payment screen.

Message 40 of 50
Admin

Hello @mightymissdsgns! If you need to give change for a cash payment follow these steps from the Point of Sale app:

1. Tap on the specific invoice.
  2. Tap Add Payment.
  3. Then tap Charge $ Now and select Cash. From here you'll see the checkout flow you're used: you'll see the amount of change due as well as the receipt screen.
  4. You can record that the invoice has been paid by check this way too: tap Charge $ Now > then tap More > Other Payment Types

One thing to keep in mind is if your customer has paid a deposit towards and invoice you cannot charge their card from the Invoice at this time (these invoices will say 'Partially paid' in the app). In that case, you can send your customer a link to pay the balance of the invoice online, or if they'd like to pay in cash/by check tap Add Payment and then Record Payment.

Let me know if you have any other questions (or feedback) about this new checkout flow. It looks like this Product Update is from 2017 so we'll update this update as soon as we can! 😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 41 of 50

@Helen

I figured it out! I was so caught up on the recording cash or check verbiage that I never tapped the second option that mentions paying with a credit card. The screen I was looking for came up after I tapped that option. My bad for not exploring more, but the verbiage is somewhat confusing.... Thanks for your help!

Message 42 of 50