x

Question about selling at a event with hey cell phone that's connected to the internet and a tablet

I will have two people taking credit cards at a event. One device will have internet connection.( That would be my cell phone,) the other would just be a tablet with no internet connection. Would I be able to run transactions using both of these devices under one account?

Thank you in advance 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, both devices will be able to run transactions.  The tablet will need to be placed in Offline Mode to do so.  There are a few warnings about doing it this way though:

• In Offline Mode, Square will not be able to authorize the charge/debit sales - each one will go through.  This means that you have no way of protecting yourself from a fraudulent charge since the card will not be able to be validated at the time of the sale.
  • One more consequence of the first point is that you will be more open to customers disputing their otherwise valid charges.
  • The tablet will need to be connected to the internet in some fashion within 72 hours of the sale so the transactions can be approved and validated.  If this isn't done, you will lose those sales.

Good luck if you decide to go forward, but I would definitely try to find a device which could use either wifi (if available) or cellular data if possible.

Edit: here's a link to the site where Square lays out processing sales in Offline Mode.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 2