x

Reasons why a credit card would be denied?

I am trying to take my first payment from a reputable corporate source and it will not take the payment.  The accountant on the other end says she has had no problems with this card, so I am wondering if there are any other common reasons why a card would be denied?  If anyone has any insight on this please let me know so i can resolve this issue and accept the payment.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

the purchase could be denied by the customer's bank for many reasons including out of state charge, out of their regular buying habits, fraud alert etc.  the best way to find out is to have the customer call their credit card company to tell them the charge they are attempting is a valid charge and to see what it is being flagged as.  95% of credit cards being declined are declines issued by the customer's bank though Square may decline some transactions that they deem high risk.  So you could also try calling Square to see.  

https://squareup.com/help/contact

Click "Other"

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1 (855) 700-6000

Depending on your specific account, you might not have phone support available, or you might have limited hours of support. If your account doesn't have phone support, Email is the only way to communicate so that there is proper documentation of the conversations.

Message 2 of 10

My first sales  transaction was denied. I called support and learned that my customer’s cc restricts usage with SQUARE. Is this a regular occurrence with Square sales?!?! 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 10
Admin

Hi @CBPB. Sorry to hear that happened during your very first transaction. I moved your post over to this thread so you can take a look at @VanKalkerFarms answer above. The reasons he listed are typically why credit card transactions are declined. But if your customer has checked in with their card issuing bank and they're saying it's something otherwise, feel free to reach out to our support team for some clarification.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 10

So, my online square store (done through weebly.com which is powered by square) is declining every single card my customers try to use. I have credit card acceptance enabled. I have PayPal payments enabled. I spoke with a help chat person and they said I'm fine to accept ALL cards and that the customers needed to talk to their banks. My customers spoke with their banks and their banks said they were fine to use their cards. What going on? How can I fix this!? It's driving me nuts! Thank you!!

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Sorry for the hassle @Dani1334.

There's some mention on this thread as to why those cards might be declining. But if you check in with our Support team, they should be able to give some more specifics.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 10

@nika thank you so much! I've looked at that article however and my customers have confirmed it's not one of those issues. I have an ongoing customer service conversation happening now and hopefully this gets resolved soon 🙂

Message 7 of 10

Hi,

I have clients reporting back that when they go to purchase a product it declines their card. Can someone please help me asap, I have a sale on at the moment that ends in 2hours (midnight).

My website is www.peachyskinandbody.com 

Thanks,

Emily 

Message 8 of 10
Alumni

Hmm, we haven't received reports that payments are down with the Online Store. How many customers reported this issue? Have they tried using another card to test? Do these customers share the same bank? 

Let me know 🙂 @Em277

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 10

• Hi, thank you for the reply. It was only that one customer having issues. Whereas my other customers were fine in making a payment which makes me think now that theres something wrong down her end
Message 10 of 10