x

Receipt signature and tipping amounts

Please bring back the option to sign on all printed receipts! It’s making sellers and customers feel awkward to have a receipt shoved in their face with only a tip and total line and makes sellers look like they’re begging for tips!

[This post was moved off of the "Ask our Appointments Product Managers and Designers Anything" thread by a community moderator.]

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hey @WaxThatJax, I moved your post into its own thread so that we can be sure to get right details to our Point of Sale team. Is the main issue that you're encountering that you're unable to separate service from retail for tipping? If so, we're tracking that request here: Is there any way to separate retail from service from the total so the retail is tip exempt?

If that's not what's happening, can you reply here with a bit more information on the ideal outcome you'd like to see? With that, I'll make sure the right team members see your experience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 3

Hi Tom-

Thank you for responding! The issue isn't the separation of service to retail. The issue is that banks no longer require signatures for credit cards, therefore my receipt printer (Square Terminal) no longer prints the signature line on all transactions. It only prints the tip and total lines. No line for signatures  creates a horribly awkward dynamic of my customer feeling forced to give a tip instead of "hey I need your signature and if you'd like to leave a tip here's that option!"  

As a merchant that does services and needs to give the option of tipping this is really cutting into my profits. I bought the Square Terminal STRICTLY for the printed receipts because tips are markedly higher when a patron has to write a tip out, not just click a button on a screen, but now that no signature is needed I'm not comfortable shoving a tip receipt with no need for a signature into my customers hands. 

Please help! I won't be able to use Square for much longer if this continues and I know so many other merchants in my field are miserable about this too!

Message 3 of 3