x

Redeeming egift cards with Register

I am having difficulty figuring out how to redeem egift cards through the register. There does not seem to be an option for this anywhere. At the "Charge" screen there is simply not an option to enter an ecard number, nor is there a button for "gift card". Help!

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @gralehaus 

If you go into Settings, and then Payment Methods, you can choose which options show up after you hit Charge. There you can select Gift Cards or Manual Gift Cards, or something along those lines (NOT Other Gift Cards). 

When you tap on those on the Charge Screen, you would be able to enter in the 16 digit code on the eGift Card, or be able to use their eGift Card on file, if the customer attached it to their Phone Number or Email Address.

Hope this helps!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @gralehaus 

If you go into Settings, and then Payment Methods, you can choose which options show up after you hit Charge. There you can select Gift Cards or Manual Gift Cards, or something along those lines (NOT Other Gift Cards). 

When you tap on those on the Charge Screen, you would be able to enter in the 16 digit code on the eGift Card, or be able to use their eGift Card on file, if the customer attached it to their Phone Number or Email Address.

Hope this helps!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 2 of 12

Oh, awesome! It looks like that takes care of it. Thank you so much!!!

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller Alumni

Sweet! Glad I could help!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 12

We have four workstations and only two will recognize/load and redeem gift cards using a swipe. The other two require typing in the full gift card number. What is the setting to activate gift cards recognition at the workstation?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Barceloneta -

Welcome back to the Community! 

I moved your post over to a board with this topic. 

Check out the Best Answer by our Super Seller @pessosices for troubleshooting steps to accept your gift cards through your work stations.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 12

One issue we have with e-gift card is the in person redemption process.

The customer has on their phone usually the digits.  To have them read it off out loud in a noisy area isn't ideal.  To ask to hold their phone isn't ideal (sometimes they get texts and such!).  To mistype one number in the 16 digits is common enough. 

The process takes a bit too long for us to mainstream e-gift cards over physical cards.

Request: have a barcode under the digits in the email.

Then scanners attached to the register can quickly and accurately grab the number from their screen.

The ios/android phone app could use camera to scan that barcode.

(also can someone edit the title and correct register spelling so this thread shows up in search?)

If you have any questions, I'm Around.
Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion. And thanks for sharing your experience with redeeming egift cards. It gives our Product Team an accurate perspective on the Register's usability. 

I'll be sure to share it with the Team. 

PS, title edited 🙂 @Around 

Justin
Message 8 of 12

Has there been any update on the ability to scan the egift card digits from an email (addition of a barcode)? For us, it would be pretty unusable without that option.

Message 9 of 12

Hello @Tracy88

No update to provide on this feature. We will make sure to post any new product updates here in our Seller Community as they come available. 

Have a good day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 10 of 12

When I sell a eGift card……how do I process it when presented for a POS purchase?

Message 11 of 12

Hey there, @PapasPumpkinP

Welcome back to the Community. I have moved your post to a thread where sellers have asked a similar question about redeeming eGift Cards. 

Check out the Best Answer on this post for the best course of action. Another option would be this Support Article with more information on eGift Cards. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 12 of 12