x

Reporting - How do I see which customers purchased an item?

Is there a way to see which customers purchased an item? I run a wine store and we would like to send clients updates when the next vintage of the same wine arrives or more of the same wine if it was temporarily sold out.  

This is an important revenue generator for us, in addition to be a nice service to our clients who appreciate the heads on wines they have traditionally supported

Message 1 of 42
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @dwm, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up! 😀

Yes — you can see which customers purchased an item by heading over to your Item Sales tab > select appropriate date range > Export > Detail CSV. A spreadsheet will download to your computer. From there, you can sort the "Item" column and cross reference which customers bought that wine by viewing the "Customer Name" column.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

Cheers. 🥂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @dwm, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up! 😀

Yes — you can see which customers purchased an item by heading over to your Item Sales tab > select appropriate date range > Export > Detail CSV. A spreadsheet will download to your computer. From there, you can sort the "Item" column and cross reference which customers bought that wine by viewing the "Customer Name" column.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

Cheers. 🥂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 42

This is hugely helpful. Thank you!! 

Message 3 of 42

We're also interested in doing something similar, however when I export the file the "Customer Name" column is entirely blank. Is there a setting we need to enable in order to see this data? 

Message 4 of 42
Square

Hmm, strange, @EConway. Have you been adding your customers to each sale, prior to charging?

Message 5 of 42

Hi - I am using WIX and I just integrated Square. Square is not capturing the item purchased or customer name at least. I have downloaded the details Excel sheet and the Customer Name is blank and Item field just says "Custom Amount" under it. Below is excerpt of one of the Excel Rows. I removed the transaction ids. Do I need to enable something?

5/2/2017 8:07:59 Arizona None Custom Amount 1       $50.95  $0.00  $50.95  $0.00    l   Payment FPVdrones.XYZ      
Message 6 of 42
Square Community Moderator

@FPVdronesXYZ Hi there, 

Although Square integrates with Wix to process payments, all API functions are operated and managed by Wix.

For help with Wix-specific questions, you’ll need to contact the Wix Support Team directly.

Message 7 of 42

I have the same issue where my cutomer ID column is blank but when I click on the transaction it shows the customer name.

Message 8 of 42
Admin

Sorry to hear that @Extremevbc! If you've added customers to each sale before charging this information should appear. If you're still seeing a blank column, please get in touch with our Support team directly so we can investigate this further. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 42

So far I've been able to find what I need as far as a report goes by doing this Detail CSV - except for I do not see a place to chose a 'date range' just a specific date.  Is there a way to chose an entire month at a time vs. doing every day separately when I export the Detail CSV??  I want to see what customers purchased in the month of entire month of April without having 30 separate reports. 

Thanks

Message 10 of 42

@mpakiela You should be able to choose a date range by clicking on the date selector box. 

Here's a screen shot for reference:

Message 11 of 42

Hello team! 

I don't know if there is something to my question, but I would love the option to find the names of the transactions for the day. For example I can go and click on the "Activity " tab but find only the amounts, receipt number and last 4 digits of the card used on the sale, but if you don't remember the name of a particular customer to add an important note or so then you have to search thru that whole list looking for it according to the time they were in, kind of inconviente and sometimes impossible.

Message 12 of 42

I would like to be able to pull a list of customers who purchased a specific product. I can't seem to find a report or other method for accomplishing this.

Could someone point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks much.

Message 13 of 42
Square

Hi, @skooner77, welcome to the Community. I moved your post to existing thread on this topic. While we don't have a Dashboard report specifically for this, you can acquire this info if you're using the Customer Directory feature. Hope this helps!

Message 14 of 42

Thanks for connecting me with this thread and this answer, Spenser. I was able to download the list.

While this does get me to the ultimate answer I need, I'm wondering if there is a mechanism through which I could request that this functionality become more easily accessible and more useable within Square Marketing. The report that I was able to download through your instructions does give me the ability to find customer names, but it doesn't include contact information, it's buried within a bunch of other data I have to sort through, and I can't easily communicate with this targeted group of people. 

As the backbone of our retail system, being able to make it easier for customers to purchase additional products from us is obviously critically important. I honestly am shocked that there haven't been tons more requests for this feature. 

Message 15 of 42
Square

Thanks for following up @skooner77, I'm glad to hear it was partly helpful at least. I appreciate the feedback and can see how a closer link between reporting and marketing would save you some work - quickly reaching out to a group of people who bought a particular product from you, for example. 

In any case, I'll pass on the suggestion and will update here if there are any updates that would benefit this thread. Thanks again!

Message 16 of 42
Beta Member

I totally agree - I realize this is now 5 years old, but I still can't find an option for this kind of report. Odd that this still isn't a thing. I need to be able to see the list of customers who bought a particular item. Hopefully Square makes this a standard report some day very soon.

Message 17 of 42

We've implemented a new process for Feature Requests @kkanda

I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 42
Beta Member

I would like to click on a customer and see all the items they have purchased (a summary) without having to look at each of their orders individually. Is there a way to do that?

Message 19 of 42
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Is there a way to create an Items by Customer report?”

Welcome to the Seller Community @safsac! I moved your post here so you can see Tom's Best Answer about how to see this report (see page 1 of this thread). 👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 20 of 42
Beta Member

The process explained in "Tom's Best Answer" was helpful (but cumbersome) to a certain degree. But the date range is the problem. I'd like to veiw and evaluate a customer's ENTIRE history....not just one year at a time. Is there a way to do that without having to run multiple reports - one year at a time?  

Message 21 of 42