x

Restricting Sales by Postcodes

Hi,

I am setting up a small soaping business at the moment, but with the way cosmetic regulation rules work, I am only able to sell these products in the mainland UK, Northern Ireland and the Hebrides etc.

Is there a way to configure the sales platform so that sales will not go through if they come from postcodes outside of the UK? Also, what is the quickest way to set up all UK postcodes? Can these be uploaded from a list?

Many thanks,

Andy

Message 1 of 15
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for tagging me in @tonydow

When you're setting up Shipping, the UK would be just England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you are not shipping to Northern Ireland, you can uncheck it.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.14.22.png

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.14.34.png

If you're also shipping to other UK territories like Jersey, you'd need to add these in individually.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.15.48.png

I hope this will help!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Beta Member

If you are using Shipping for fulfilment and set up your shipping rates to only include the areas you want to ship to, I believe anyone ordering from other areas will be advised that you don’t ship there. Perhaps @tranguyen can confirm this is correct. As people would only find this out once they were in the ordering process, it might be an idea to have a pop up advising customers that you only ship to specific areas which they will see up front.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 2 of 15

Thank you! There's actually going to be several notices on the site so it should be obvious, but as it's a legal requirement, I wanted to make sure.

Is there a quick and easy way to upload all UK postcodes by any chance?

Message 3 of 15
Beta Member

I don’t believe there is any way of using postcodes for shipping, only geographical areas, but this should cover your requirements.

Message 4 of 15

Sorry if I am being dense: Do you mean that you set shipping for 'UK' etc. and that will automatically cover all UK post codes? How does the system determine the area covered?

Message 5 of 15
Beta Member

Yes, select United Kingdom for the area. Don’t know how it works but with that and your messages about where you ship to, you should be covered.

Message 6 of 15

Oh, lord... that seems a bit frustrating as Northern Ireland is part of the UK for the purposes of postage, but for the purposes of the legislation, it's treated the same as the EU so I can't post there.

Do you happen to know if the crown dependencies are also counted as the 'UK'?

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

Sorry, I don’t. Someone from Square will hopefully advise on that, maybe @tranguyen 

Message 8 of 15

Thank you. 🙂

Message 9 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for tagging me in @tonydow

When you're setting up Shipping, the UK would be just England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you are not shipping to Northern Ireland, you can uncheck it.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.14.22.png

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.14.34.png

If you're also shipping to other UK territories like Jersey, you'd need to add these in individually.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.15.48.png

I hope this will help!

Tra
Message 10 of 15

Ah! Thank you so much. 🙂

Message 11 of 15

One last question, if I may: is there any way to have a pre-defined drop-down list of shipping locations in the address fields so that a buyer cannot select / type in anything that is not defined in the background in the first place?

Message 12 of 15
Admin

Unfortunately while you can restricted the shipping areas in the backend, there isn't a way to remove or edit countries from the customer-facing dropdown at the moment @Andy1981, but it's definitely a feature request I can share with our Product team!

Tra
Message 13 of 15

Thankyou sooo much for that i am going to try that i have been trying to figure out a way to do this for a while !

Message 14 of 15
Admin

That's correct @tonydow! If customer enter an address for an area you haven't set up shipping for, then they'll get an error message saying that the store does not ship to this location. 

It'll definitely be a good idea to create a pop-up or banner @Andy1981 like Tony suggest so customers will know before going to checkout. 

Tra
Message 15 of 15