x

Returns on Invoices

How do you handle returns on invoices? Here's a scenario I can't figure out. Say my customer purchases 2 items, one for $16.99 and the other for $4.99. They make a partial payment of $16.99 on the invoice. They then return the $16.99 item.

If I try to just refund the $16.99 I have to cancel the whole invoice. If I try to edit the invoice and take the $16.99 item off it then I get a message that I can't because the invoice total needs to be at least a $1 more than what the customer has already paid. I'm not sure what to do.

We are trying to transfer a program we offer over to Square. We have customers that buy uniforms from us and payments are deducted directly from their paychecks and their employer issues the payment to us. They pay in chunks and often will have made a partial payment on something and then end up returning it. We really want to run this program out of square but not if the return process is going to be difficult to manage. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

hi @Julie15 

This is an interesting one. So to make sure I have this scenario correct with this example below

John gets hired in a restaurant and needs a uniform, he picks out his uniform from you.  x.xx  amount of dollars is taken out of John's paycheck each week from his employer for the uniform. John's  employer is invoiced (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?)  for John's uniform. 

John doesn't last, more than two weeks and his uniform is now returned, since it was returned you need to refund a partial payment back to the employer?

Am I pretty accurate with this or am i way out in left field?

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 4

You're pretty accurate. We would run the invoices bi-weekly. The payment is made by the employee not the employer, the employer just helps facilitate the payment by deducting it from the employee's check and sending it to us.

What happens most often would be the employee has purchased say 2 uniforms for a total of $100. We receive a $50 payment. The employee returns one uniform but keeps the other. We would want to return one outfit back to our inventory and use the $50 payment toward any outstanding balance. 

Another common scenario is someone buys an outfit and shoes. Payments have been made on the shoes which are more expensive than the outfit. They return the shoes. I use the payment that has been made on the shoes to pay off the outfit instead, but wait the shoes were more expensive so now I also owe them a refund too.

I know it's kind of an off the wall situation! I appreciate any and all feedback and ideas!

Message 3 of 4

You're pretty accurate. We would run the invoices bi-weekly. The payment is made by the employee not the employer, the employer just helps facilitate the payment by deducting it from the employee's check and sending it to us.

What happens most often would be the employee has purchased say 2 uniforms for a total of $100. We receive a $50 payment. The employee returns one uniform but keeps the other. We would want to return one outfit back to our inventory and use the $50 payment toward any outstanding balance. 

Another common scenario is someone buys an outfit and shoes. Payments have been made on the shoes which are more expensive than the outfit. They return the shoes. I use the payment that has been made on the shoes to pay off the outfit instead, but wait the shoes were more expensive so now I also owe them a refund too.

I know it's kind of an off the wall situation! I appreciate any and all feedback and ideas!

Message 4 of 4