x

Selling Online Event for Free

I'm interested in using Square to let guests sign up for free brewery tours.  Is there a way they can place orders without needing to use a credit card?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

@ENKI

We don't have a great solution for you at this time. Usually our system takes payments for event management. If your intention is to take online registration, you may want to try an integrated or external system for registration.

Perhaps one of our other Sellers would have an idea of an integration to use.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 7

Many nonprofits have a need for ticketed events combined with the functionality of adding a donation. For example, a nonprofit might have a free or low cost ticketed event, but would like to add the ability to solicit an additional donation at the time of check out-- people who have the ability to give more may choose to do so at this time. This is a powerful way of making events inclusive to more people in the community, while still obtaining much needed funds to support the event.

Currently it seems like Square is able to support a $0.00 event (although it's not smart enough to turn off the credit card requirement in this instance), but it also seems like there's no way to make a donation as part of the event or goods/services checkout process.

Although Square has the ability to accept donations as a standalone item, people are much more likely to make donations online if they can do so in the context of a purchase or reservation, rather than in a standalone field.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to share this - it is a really helpful description of why this feature would be important to nonprofits, or any business looking to do fundraising. 

I hear you, that this would be a really helpful tool to have for our systems and I will be sure to continue sharing your thoughts, and the thoughts of all the other sellers contributing to this, with our Development Team. 

Thanks again for your post and I hope you have a great day!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

I am with a neighborhood association that uses Square to collect membership dues. I am working on switching our website to Weebly, since it seemed like the easiest way to keep everything under one roof, so to speak, but I'm having trouble creating events. Our events are free ... am I understanding other threads to say that I cannot create a free event that will show up in the Featured Events section???

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Sunnybeth! Welcome to the Community.

I merged your post with an existing one for the same question within the Community.

It looks like we don't have capabilities for this with the Online Store at this time but I'll be sure to pass the request up to our Online Store product team.

I appreciate you giving us details about how your business works and why this would be useful for you so I can pass that along!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7

It's awesome that we can charge for events so easily, but free events are important to us. I like the way events are set up in Square/Weebly, but it's awful that I can't turn off the charging option. I simply want to use them as an event listing. Is there any plan to offer this option?

Message 7 of 7