x

Selling by weight: Tare weight - how do I zero out the scale?

I have a frozen yogurt store and I am wondering how everyone is taking off for the weight of the cup (tare weight) so the customer is not paying for the cup also.

Right now I have the CAS S2000 JR scale and will use it for weighing of the yogurt. I was then going to use a discount button to take off the weight of the cup.

Is anyone else using this method?

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You should have a "tare" button on your scale. Put an empty cup on, then tare it and you'll notice the weight goes down to 0.00... Alternatively like you mentioned, you could weigh an empty cup as if it was yogurt, and create a discount for exactly that amount, and apply it to every cup of yogurt. But if you ever had a different size/weight cup, you'd have to create a different discount. I would just get used to taring the container before it gets filled. That way a customer could easily use their own container if they wanted to. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller

Best Answer

You should have a "tare" button on your scale. Put an empty cup on, then tare it and you'll notice the weight goes down to 0.00... Alternatively like you mentioned, you could weigh an empty cup as if it was yogurt, and create a discount for exactly that amount, and apply it to every cup of yogurt. But if you ever had a different size/weight cup, you'd have to create a different discount. I would just get used to taring the container before it gets filled. That way a customer could easily use their own container if they wanted to. 

Message 2 of 13

Thanks for the reply, I located the button and we are using it for now until I have the time to program the scale.

My Aldelo machine crapped out on me and I had to start using Square before I could fully understand the entire system and the scale I have.

Message 3 of 13

Same here exactly - can we talk?

[personal information redacted] 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 13
Admin

Hey @cliveyboy, thanks for reaching out to the seller community!

Wanted to give you a heads up that it's a good idea to refrain from posting any personal contact information publicly. Please feel free to reply here with any general questions or, to maintain your privacy, give our Support Team a call. You can also send private messages to other sellers in the community if you'd like to discuss more specifics on a particular topic. 

Hope this helps get you in the right direction! Please let us know if you have any further questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 13

@cliveyboy please feel free to message me privately .

Message 6 of 13
Alumni

@gcoughlin thanks for asking and thanks to @LocavoreStore for the response!

For more information on getting started with pricing by weight, we have an article in our Support Center here.

PS) If the answer provided by @LocavoreStore solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and we'll continue to help. Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
Alumni

Hi everyone - Our PM @saumaya is looking to get some feedback on selling items by weight on Square. Here's the link if you want to share some thoughts: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Point-of-Sale-Using-a-scale-to-sell-items-by-w...

Message 8 of 13
Admin

Another update for everyone  you can now link a bluetooth scale to iOS devices to sell items by weight with Square!

For the details about which scale is curently supported, and all the steps to get started check out this post: Square now supports scales. 🎉

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 13

Is custom taring supported?

Can a tare weight be added at the point of sale to deduct from the purchase?

Message 10 of 13

We also would require the ability to manually enter tare weights for this to be useful to our business.

Message 11 of 13

attn square: please allow us to enter tare weights. 

could be as easy as letting me enter a negative price...associated with the weight being tared.

Message 12 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi Sellers! 👋

We’re excited to announce that you can now deduct tare weights from items sold by weight directly through your Square for Retail point of sale.

This new tare functionality allows you to remove the weight of containers or other packaging that shouldn’t be included in what you charge your customers; something that could previously only be managed on the scale itself.

After you place an item on your connected scale and select it to add to cart, you’ll see an option to Set tare. You can enter the container’s tare weight that will be subtracted from the scale’s measured weight. Once the tare is set, and the item is added, the cart will then display the net weight used to calculate the price.

Note: Tare weight can only be subtracted and cannot exceed the measured weight.

Additionally, the customer’s receipt will also display both the net weight and any applicable tare weight while your inventory will be decreased by net weight only.

We hope this will streamline how you sell items by weight, and speed up checkout for you and your customers.

To learn more see our Help article.

Note: This feature is available to all sellers using Square for Retail and a supported scale. The new cart experience must also be enabled on each of your devices in Settings > Favorites.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 13