x

Selling individual and packaged items, and maintaining inventory

I suspect this isn't possible in Square, but thought I would try my luck.

Assume we are selling an item, call it a Whatzit.  I want to be able to sell Whatzits both indivdiually, but also in packets of 5 with a discount.  At the same time, I want to keep an accurate track of my inventory of Whatzits i.e. if I sell 1 indivdiual Whatzit, then my inventory has to be reduced by 1, but if I sell a *packet* of Whatzits, my inventory has to be deduced by 5.

Currently the only way I can see to do this in Square is only define a basic Whatzit item (with inventory tracking turned on) and, when I sell a packet of Whatzits I have to use that indivdiual Whatzit item and manually mark the quantity of the transaction as 5 (and apply a "Packet Purchase Discount" to get the reduced packet price I want).  There isn't anyway to define a "Packet of Whatzit" items that has a transaction unit of 5, or otherwise links to underlying inventory of Whatzits.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks!

Shaun

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

@urbanaxes You can set up your items/inventory as you described! But have you considered creating an item variation for your discounted packet price? You can enter the inventory levels for variations too. Keep in mind you would have to do some math if one discounted package is 'worth' five individual items. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 6

This is the exact situation I'm in! I want to sell bath bombs in quantities of 1 or 3, however I do NOT want to track inventory separately. How do go about that?

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

@OrchardofNoCo1 :

Have you tried creating an automatic discount?

Sell 1 Bath Bomb for $5 and when 3 are sold have an automatic discount of $3 which gets each Bath Bomb down to $4.

I use this for a Bakers dozen.... Buy 12 get one free... my discount dollar amount is the price of a Candle.   

So when I ring up 13 candles in my store the 13th one is free and the only thing I do not like is the discount is applied to the 12th candle by Alphabetical order which when scanned could be anywhere in the list of 13 candles.  Here is a video from Square to apply discounts:

Discount Video 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 6

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: item set up

I have a product that comes in packs of three.  I want to sell either the pack for one price, or the individual pieces within a pack.  How do I set that up in a way that also tracks the inventory?  

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hello @gerogeCigar! I've moved your post to this thread where I answered a similar question.

If you have any other questions reply here, I'm happy to help. 🙂

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 6