x

Is there a way to increase the number of modifiers I can add to an item?

I would like to have the option to add up to five or more of one particular modifer for an item (Right now, it says "Choose up to one.)  I would like to have it say "Choose up to five" and be able to apple five of those modifiers to an item.  Can I do this and if so, how?

Message 1 of 18
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

@txicecreamgirl basic inventory management is free (there's a more advanced version - Inventory Plus - that comes with Square for Retail).

You can set your max/min number of modifiers by following these steps: 

1. Select an item to view its details on the right-side of your screen.
  2. Choose a modifier set by clicking Customize.
  3. Determine the number of modifiers: Choose how many modifiers can be selected for an order by clicking the arrows next to Required Modifiers and Maximum Modifiers.

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.52.36 PM.png

If you save you should be good to go. In the instructions for how to do this we mention selecting the right location under "Inventory", since some people have different item libraries for each location, so we wanted to remind you to make sure you're editing the right area. Hopefully this makes sense - let me know if anything is still unclear! 

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

Ah, gotcha. Mine says 7 because I've created 7 modifiers in this modifier set (see screenshot below). Sounds like you maybe only have 1 modifier set up. On the Items > Modifiers tab of your dashboard, you can add a bunch of modifiers and your maximum will increase as you add modifiers. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.27.03 PM.png

Make sure to also apply your modifier set to the items it's applicable to. For example, I have my modifier set "extras" applied to Burger, but not to Canvas Bag, since adding Ketchup and Mustard to a canvas bag sounds like a bad idea. 😉 

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.30.08 PM.png

Does this help? 

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller

Yes, you can have more than 1 modifier.  hopefully, this link will help you out.  I'm not on my iPad to see it in action but I know it's possible.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5696-customize-modifiers-for-order-entry

Message 2 of 18
Alumni

@txicecreamgirl hi! The article @VanKalkerFarms linked to says this too, but figured I'd pull it out so people here see it too - you can set a required number of modifiers and a maximum number, which I think should help you out. Let us know if this isn't quite what you're looking for!

Message 3 of 18

1. So, I need to be using "Inventory" correct??  
  2. There is a charge for that, correct?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

@txicecreamgirl basic inventory management is free (there's a more advanced version - Inventory Plus - that comes with Square for Retail).

You can set your max/min number of modifiers by following these steps: 

1. Select an item to view its details on the right-side of your screen.
  2. Choose a modifier set by clicking Customize.
  3. Determine the number of modifiers: Choose how many modifiers can be selected for an order by clicking the arrows next to Required Modifiers and Maximum Modifiers.

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 4.52.36 PM.png

If you save you should be good to go. In the instructions for how to do this we mention selecting the right location under "Inventory", since some people have different item libraries for each location, so we wanted to remind you to make sure you're editing the right area. Hopefully this makes sense - let me know if anything is still unclear! 

Message 5 of 18

Ok, I did all that but when I get to the "Maximum Modifiers" dropdown, I only have a choice of None or 1, not the option of up to 7 like you're showing.  ????

Message 6 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

Ah, gotcha. Mine says 7 because I've created 7 modifiers in this modifier set (see screenshot below). Sounds like you maybe only have 1 modifier set up. On the Items > Modifiers tab of your dashboard, you can add a bunch of modifiers and your maximum will increase as you add modifiers. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.27.03 PM.png

Make sure to also apply your modifier set to the items it's applicable to. For example, I have my modifier set "extras" applied to Burger, but not to Canvas Bag, since adding Ketchup and Mustard to a canvas bag sounds like a bad idea. 😉 

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.30.08 PM.png

Does this help? 

Message 7 of 18

Yes!!!  This helps tremendously!!!  Thank you so much.  

Message 8 of 18

this is not what i am looking for but it almost is. I need to be able to mark the same modifier but multiple times and a plus sign on the right telling me how many have I chosen so far, thanks

Message 9 of 18
Beta Member

How do you set a minimum and maximum number of choices on a modifier? I don’t want the customer to be able choose more than one option in a modifier set. It currently says "check all that apply" and I don't see any settings to change that. I found some old Weebly instructions on how to adjust this here, but that doesn't seem to carry over to Square's integration: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/us/en/topics/product-modifiers

Message 10 of 18
Admin

Hey there @barkshopbakery.

I moved your post over to this thread so you can check out the Best Answer. It walks through how you can set a max for modifiers through the Square side. 

This should help!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 18
Beta Member

This is perfect, thank you! 

Message 12 of 18
Beta Member

I updated the settings in Square about an hour ago but the change hasn't shown up on my Weebly site.

Message 13 of 18
Beta Member

Hi! I see this post is old but did you ever get a satisfactory answer?

I sell bowl and want customers to be able to select a particular modifier more than one time, but as you explain square only allows 2 options (selected or not) so Iám not able to know if a customer wants to servings of avocado or not

Message 14 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hello👋

Thanks for reaching out @kekoapoke. With our Square POS, you are able to create multiple modifiers. However, customers can only choose one modifier per Item, you can add a modifier called "Extra Avocado" or "Two servings of Avocado" to specify additional toppings.  The best answers in this thread are still applicable to our current settings. Take a look at this video on how to add Advanced Item Modifiers with Square for Restaurants (this may be a good fit for your business). 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 15 of 18

This thread has been very helpful, but I have one more question.  I have my modifiers listed and I have the ability to choose different modifiers.  What I want to be able to do is choose multiples of more than one modifier.

Say I'm listing Coasters that I make.  I have many styles of coasters and I have it set that my customers can pick one of one style and one of another style, but what if they want 3 of one style and two of another?  Is there a way to do that?

Thank you.

Message 16 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Imigandsons  - Violet here, stepping in for @sayra. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

For this question, I suggest that you get in touch with our Square Online Store Support Team. They will be able to take a look at your site and settings to make the best recommendation for your business needs. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 18

but why do we have to go thru all that? when other systems like clover and doordash have the option to choose multiple modifiers per item?

Message 18 of 18